Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Bad advice re tank from pet shop, need good advice! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/bad-advice-re-tank-pet-shop-58972/)

Ang9000 01-04-2011 09:44 AM

Bad advice re tank from pet shop, need good advice!

Hi everyone,

For christmas I bought my daughter 2 goldfish, 1 fantail and 1 which I think is an oranda. I was advised by the pet shop that a 14L tank was big enough for them and even a 3rd if I wanted. I was told all I needed to do was set up the tank with some tap water conditioner and biological supplement and float the fish in the water before releasing them. So that is what I done, I was told nothing about cycling.

3 days later the fantail was floating on its side at the top of the tank, but was still alive. I called the pet shop and after their advice I done a 50% water change, added a tsp of pure salt and tried feeding her some peas. Almost immediately, little Ariel was swimming normally, but she was still at the top of the tank. She tried to swim down but but would always float back up.

8 days later to today and Ariel seemed fine this morning. A few hours later, my 5 year old runs to me upset to tell me Ariel was dead. I went and looked and sure enough, she was. I also noticed red streaks at the base of her tail and fins.

After some research, I now know that 14L is way too small for 1 goldfish, never mind 2! So we will now be looking for a new home for Aston. My questions are:

How big should Aston's tank be?

How long will he be ok for in the little tank till I can get a new one? He's currently about 2" long.

I have a Marina i25 filter, is that ok?

How often should I change the water for himwhile he is in the little tank? The pet shop told me every 3-4 weeks, but clearly I won't be listening to their advice!

Will he be OK on his own or will he get lonely?

What fish can I put in the little tank once Aston has his new home?

Please help with any advice you can, I don't want to see that devestated look on my daughter's face again :-(

I've attached a picture of Aston incase he isn't an oranda
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...IMG_1660_1.jpg

Kazzy 01-04-2011 10:08 AM

Sorry for the bad advice at the pet store, and poor Ariel!

I've never kept Goldfish, but after reading their care profile (you can read it here - Goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus) Profile) it seems that Aston will get pretty large and it says the minimum tank size is 30 gallons. You'll also need a very heavy duty filter as they produce a large amount of waste.

While he's in the little tank, I highly suggest cleaning the water once a day, maybe twice being as he'll produce so much waste and it's a small tank. This is because the tank is not cycled and there will be an incredible amount of ammonia build up that is very harmful for him.

That's all I can help with, sorry!

Byron 01-04-2011 01:30 PM

Kakky has answered you. Here's a link to info on cycling, a "sticky" at the head of this section of the forum:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/
This will explain things. Daily water changes until the cycle is established, then once a week change 50%. Use a good water conditioner.

A 14L tank is about 3.6 gallons (you did mean Litres, not gallons?). This will greatly limit your choices for fish. With a heater and small (sponge-type) filter, a Betta would be nice, and some live plants even simple like floating.

Byron.

burnsbabe 01-04-2011 01:42 PM

You've got good advice already. I'd add that once you get the new tank you should go ahead and put him in. Since neither of the tanks is cycled you're not making things worse and in fact are making them better because the larger water volume will take longer to reach dangerous levels of ammonia. Which isn't to say you shouldn't continue to be diligent about the water changes in both tanks until the cycle is established.

Cutest goldfish I've seen in quite a while. They're not my favorite.

Ang9000 01-07-2011 05:30 AM

Thank you for the help guys. Our Aston is a cutie :-D

All Buns Glazing 01-07-2011 08:57 AM

Ooh, that's so sad about Ariel and your daughter. Bad petshop! BAD PETSHOP! :-(

Bigger aquariums are prettier, and the fish will be so much happier in a larger tank, and equally as importantly, your daughter won't be sad with her fish dying all the time.

Zappity 11-16-2011 02:14 PM

@Byron, bettas and goldfish are NOT compatible, as bettas are Tropical Fish and require temps of at least 79F, and goldfish being coldwater, they can not live together.

How big should Aston's tank be? For one goldfish, the minimum would be about 29-30 US gallons :)

How long will he be ok for in the little tank till I can get a new one? He's currently about 2" long. He should be fine if you do lots of water changes. I'd suggest about 50-75% everyday.

I have a Marina i25 filter, is that ok? Not good with filters, so I don't know xD

How often should I change the water for himwhile he is in the little tank? The pet shop told me every 3-4 weeks, but clearly I won't be listening to their advice! See above ^^ When he is in a larger tank, I would suggest 20% once a week w/ gravel siphoning and then once a month do a 50%, also with a gravel siphon

Will he be OK on his own or will he get lonely? I think he should be okay by himself, but if you want to get him a friend, I would MAYBE try a snail, or if you get a really large tank (55Gal+) you could get another goldie.

Hope this helps! :) Good luck with your fishy :)

Romad 11-16-2011 02:37 PM

Hey Zappity,

You probably didn't realize but this thread was from Jan 2011. It won't hurt to leave it out here but chances are not many people will see your response.

iamgray 11-16-2011 06:35 PM

Although I hate to keep a dead thread going... I'd like to say that I'm guessing what Byron meant was that a betta would be good in the little tank AFTER the goldfish was rehomed. :)

Calmwaters 11-16-2011 06:47 PM

Iamgrey you beat me to it. LOL