Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   platys? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/platys-5892/)

Firebelly girrl 05-15-2007 07:15 PM

platys?

Sorry if its spelled platies :?
Any ways....do these guys NEED salt?
How many could fit in a 20 gallon tank?

Thank you!

Falina 05-15-2007 07:20 PM

They do well in brackish waters, but also will do just fine in freshwater. Most are kept in freshwater anyway so are already acclimatised. If there are other tankmates, don't add salt.

You could have 4-6 probably, but remember that they will breed profusely, so whatever you have, will have been multiplied by 10 in a short time.

Firebelly girrl 05-15-2007 08:17 PM

OK thank you =D
I have a friend that has a big 150 gallon community aquarium if needed =)

Rue 05-15-2007 08:27 PM

I've been considering the dwarf platies this last while...

Think I might try them down the road...when I have room in my community tank...

Firebelly girrl 05-15-2007 09:07 PM

They are cute little boogers :D
Do you guys think 2 little african dwarf frogs would be OK in there with the platys, considering their both peaceful species?

Firebelly girrl 05-16-2007 05:39 PM

Oh yeah, and would cory catfish eat the platys fry?

Falina 05-16-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebelly girrl
Oh yeah, and would cory catfish eat the platys fry?

Yes!

I thoguht not a while back, then my cories ate molly fry and this was after I thoguht they were far too big to fit in their mouths - I see no reason why platty fry would be any different.

Firebelly girrl 05-16-2007 08:18 PM

Thats interesting! Do you think its bad for them? Or is it good food for them, like live brine shrimp?

Lupin 05-17-2007 12:09 AM

Quote:

Thats interesting! Do you think its bad for them? Or is it good food for them, like live brine shrimp?

Good.:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue
I've been considering the dwarf platies this last while...

I have not seen dwarf platies. These are probably stunted or runts which are the same as the balloon mollies being deformed fish.

Falina 05-17-2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

I would imagine it's good for them but be warned - it's pretty gruesome! It's not like most fish eating other fishes where it's one bite and they're away! They suck on them for a good while before they can swallow - poor wee things. Mine weren't eaten intentionally - I put them in thinking they would be alright as they seemed far to big - but it seems not. They were slow eating them though so luckily I managed to save most of them.