Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Blind Cave Tetra (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/blind-cave-tetra-58909/)

SlimStretch 01-03-2011 08:30 PM

Blind Cave Tetra

I'm setting up a biotope BCT tank, i was thinking about using a 20 gallon unless things change and I end up buying another tank or two and it moves up the pecking order. So this is was i was thinking.

20 Gallon Tank
5 BCTs
Perhaps a small catfish or two? (albino or black)
Lava Rock Work on back and sides of tank.

Is this too many fish? Should I Forget about the catfish? What gph filter should i get? Is it 10x or is that only for goldfish?

Thanks in advance.

Byron 01-08-2011 12:17 PM

The true species Astyanax mexicanus is a larger tetra, attaining 3.5 inches, and as you're obviously aware must be in a group. A tank of 36 inches in length is recommended. You can read more in our profile of this fish; click on the shade name, or use the second tab from the left in the blue bar at the top.

Catfish would work as tankmates. And you idea for aquascaping is excellent. A light over the tank wouldn't hurt, nothing bright, and live plants such as floating plants (which would also shade the tank).

Byron.

SlimStretch 01-10-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 554073)
The true species Astyanax mexicanus is a larger tetra, attaining 3.5 inches, and as you're obviously aware must be in a group. A tank of 36 inches in length is recommended. You can read more in our profile of this fish; click on the shade name, or use the second tab from the left in the blue bar at the top.

Catfish would work as tankmates. And you idea for aquascaping is excellent. A light over the tank wouldn't hurt, nothing bright, and live plants such as floating plants (which would also shade the tank).

Byron.

Thanks, i appreciate the response, what would you recommend for floating plants, although i don't think ill use any, cause in a true Dark Cave Biotope there would be no plants, and i dont think im going to get cat fish eithier, just the group of my BCT. Using a Red led, or spotlight to add to small but cool effect in lighting. I'm looking for a good canister filter for my setup, any recommendations

Byron 01-10-2011 07:54 PM

I have Eheim and Rena canisters. Eheim are more expensive, but they cannot be equalled--at least they haven't been yet for effectiveness, reliability and durability. Rena work very well, but do not yet have the track record. In test reports, Fluvals come in third.

SlimStretch 01-11-2011 12:15 AM

What gph will i need? I'm still confused on that? would it be 200gph for a 20 gallon

Byron 01-11-2011 01:09 PM

Buy the filter that is recommended for the tank size. Eheim, Rena and Fluval state the tank size on their respective packaging. With a canister, this is fully sufficient.

SlimStretch 01-11-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 556813)
Buy the filter that is recommended for the tank size. Eheim, Rena and Fluval state the tank size on their respective packaging. With a canister, this is fully sufficient.

Thanks byron, i wasnt sure most my experience is in goldfish which is 10x gph