Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish too fast to catch! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-too-fast-catch-58875/)

Blaxicanlatino 01-03-2011 04:14 PM

Fish too fast to catch!

i have some young cichlids in my cherry shrimp breeder tank (ive already scolded myself for this already XD ) anyway, for a long time they lived in peace but... the cichlids have gotten bigger and have slain 2 of my cherrys... fortunately, they are big enough to sell to my LFS but.... they are waaaaayyyyyyyyy to fast and my tank is heavily planted. any suggestions on how to catch them? they are about 2 inches and quick (bumblebee cichlid)

Romad 01-03-2011 04:31 PM

I feel your pain. It took me almost an hour to catch 20 fish when we moved last year.

Do you have another net? Coax them into the second net with the first net if possible. Otherwise, just let them get to the top or middle of the tank and get the net underneath them s l o w l y..... no rapid movement with the net.

Good luck.

Blaxicanlatino 01-03-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 549864)
I feel your pain. It took me almost an hour to catch 20 fish when we moved last year.

Do you have another net? Coax them into the second net with the first net if possible. Otherwise, just let them get to the top or middle of the tank and get the net underneath them s l o w l y..... no rapid movement with the net.

Good luck.

ive never had such a heavily planted tank b4 so now they swim under the plants or hide in the microsword lawn XD lol i will try again tomorrow. I have a horrible flu and can hardly breathe and thats not really something i can do right now XD

iamgray 01-03-2011 08:15 PM

Smeone on this site told me a method awhile ago.. Unfortunately i forget who it was... And it works very well. Put one hand in the tank, and hold the net in the other... And you can kind of corral them into the net with your hand, and use the glass to your advantage as well to help corner them a bit.

cbirk 01-03-2011 09:34 PM

Yes when catching my baby cichlids to give away I use a big net, a small net, and the corner of the tank. I use the small net to corral them into the big net, and can usually get 2-3 at a time. Big net is worth the purchase for this alone.

zof 01-03-2011 09:35 PM

I feel your pain, it sucks will a heavily planted aquarium.

aunt kymmie 01-04-2011 12:01 AM

What I did in my heavily planted tank was to turn off the lights in the tank, lower the water quite a bit, and then used a small net to corral them into a much bigger net. Tough to do and I also thrashed some plants in the process. It's always tough to catch the little buggers in a heavily planted tank.

1077 01-04-2011 06:56 AM

I recently had to catch 8 black ruby barbs from 80 gallon planted tank.
I did as aunt Kymmie suggested and first lowered the water level by one half. I planned on moving the fish to 75 gallon tank at work but weather turned off too cool and the fish were not liking the temporary 20 gallon holding tank.
After all the trouble of catching them,,I ended up returning them to the 80 gallon:roll:
Lowering the water level helped a bunch, and two nets also helped.Still took half an hour and numerous expletives.

bearwithfish 01-04-2011 08:01 AM

i like the two nets and the lower water all of them are great .... another option is to skip feeding for 2 days and then (having your net ready) go to feed a small amount reall close to the net then get them while they are distracted.... or Google fish traps and make one .. it will take a bit and a ton of patience but you can get them with one made from a bottle with much less stress....

aunt kymmie 01-04-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 550434)
I recently had to catch 8 black ruby barbs from 80 gallon planted tank.
I did as aunt Kymmie suggested and first lowered the water level by one half. I planned on moving the fish to 75 gallon tank at work but weather turned off too cool and the fish were not liking the temporary 20 gallon holding tank.
After all the trouble of catching them,,I ended up returning them to the 80 gallon:roll:
Lowering the water level helped a bunch, and two nets also helped.Still took half an hour and numerous expletives.

LOL, and that was your original advice to me and the only reason I was successful. My chore was to catch nine Dennison barbs that were in a planted 100gl. It helps to really let lose with the expletives. :lol:
Good luck, Blaxicanlatino. We also hope you're feeling better today!