Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   random creatures in my tank! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/random-creatures-my-tank-58817/)

Blaxicanlatino 01-02-2011 09:06 PM

random creatures in my tank!

this is hard to explain but i woke up and looked at my 10 gallon tank and when i turned on the aquarium lights, i noticed these tiny tiny tiny little white things on the glass, plants, and gravel. the are hard to describe and cant take a pic of them, but they look like scale bugs. Flat, roundish things with a red spot in the middle (organs maybe?) they dont look like snails since they seem to be an entire body rather than a blob in a shell. what are these things? they just appeared overnight! my fish seem to be doing as well as they usually are.

I checked an hour ago and they seem to be gone. maybe they come out at night? the largest one i saw was about the size of a pinhead?

jaysee 01-03-2011 08:48 AM

Maybe planaria?

Blaxicanlatino 01-03-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 549625)
Maybe planaria?

i dont think so, these are oval like more than long and arenet free swimming. She slide across the glass, plants, and gravel

DanMarion 01-03-2011 12:01 PM

Sounds like snails to me. But not the common pond snails that you are used to seeing.

I think you have Acroloxidae snails. I have them in my show tank as well, and haven't experienced any issues related to them. They are so small that I rarely notice them there. And yes, mine seem to only come out at night, there is no sign of them within an hour of the lights coming on.

A bit of info about them here:
http://www.applesnail.net/content/snails_various.php

Blaxicanlatino 01-03-2011 02:16 PM

Good call! Those seem like it! Where do you think they came from?
Posted via Mobile Device

DanMarion 01-04-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino (Post 549750)
Good call! Those seem like it! Where do you think they came from?
Posted via Mobile Device

As far as I can tell, mine came in either on a Sword plant I bought, or with a group of Cherry Shrimp. Both were added about the same time, so I can't narrow it down any further.

I think that most of the time, snails come from plants. I don't even try to do anything about controlling them. They are a good cleanup crew for the aquarium. Just make sure you don't overfeed your fish, and your snails won't have enough munchies to completely take over.

Blaxicanlatino 01-04-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanMarion (Post 550514)
As far as I can tell, mine came in either on a Sword plant I bought, or with a group of Cherry Shrimp. Both were added about the same time, so I can't narrow it down any further.

I think that most of the time, snails come from plants. I don't even try to do anything about controlling them. They are a good cleanup crew for the aquarium. Just make sure you don't overfeed your fish, and your snails won't have enough munchies to completely take over.

i think it was some pennywort i added recently. It was the one time i didnt thouroughly clean the plant XD

DanMarion 01-04-2011 11:00 AM

I used to try cleaning plants before putting them in, but I decided it was futile : P

Seems to me that EVERYONE with a planted tank ends up with snails at one point or another. I rinse my plants off with tank water before planting them, I don't really bother with scrubbing.

1077 01-04-2011 11:22 AM

I usually leave plant's in a bucket of aquarium water for 24 hours before rinsing them. Seems a lot of the snails think they have found a new home and the rinsing helps remove the rest but yes,,I too have snails that I did not place in the tank on purpose, as well as trumpet snails which I did place in the tank.

Blaxicanlatino 01-04-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 550534)
I usually leave plant's in a bucket of aquarium water for 24 hours before rinsing them. Seems a lot of the snails think they have found a new home and the rinsing helps remove the rest but yes,,I too have snails that I did not place in the tank on purpose, as well as trumpet snails which I did place in the tank.

i have malaysian trumpet snails i put in the tank but this is actually the first time ive had snails without consent. at least they arent pond snails XD