Tropical Fish Keeping banner

help! convict not moving caudal fin.

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  otgarza 
#1 ·
My pink convict hasn't been moving her caudal fin for over a week now and I'm starting to get concerned. And I have no idea what I can do to cure or help it. Any ideas of what it may be and how I can cure it?
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
Not moving at all? as in its not swimming? Does it have any other symptoms? is it eating? what are the water parameters?

#3 ·
My pink convict hasn't been moving her caudal fin for over a week now and I'm starting to get concerned. And I have no idea what I can do to cure or help it. Any ideas of what it may be and how I can cure it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Tried to offer help the other day by suggesting you provide test result numbers that may be indication that the fishes enviornment is contributing to problem.
Also suggested twice weekly water changes and submitted that overcrowding or aggression from other fishes could be contributing to problem.
You say you have two convicts in 29 gallon and two convicts in 30 gallon, what happened to four Jack dempsey's that you had in the 30 gallon on 12/27 or is this a third tank?

#4 ·
I got rid of the jack dempseys for the time being my friend is holding those in his 50 gallon (only two because we recently returned two because we made a pair) while I get my 80-90 gallon tank. I got my water tested today and everything seems to be fine except for the ammonia levels being 0.2. Which indicates stress and also the water was slightly hard. I have done a water change today and will probably do so in the next few days. I will get a test tomorrow also to check on the ammonia levels again.

I watched the fish for awhile and I noticed that he moves all of his fins to swim except his caudal fin. It seems that he tries to move it but just can't do it. Also the anal fin is starting to get black spots on it also and his gills are black but not as dark as they once were.

I also noticed during the water change that the water had a strange smell to it that my other tank has never had. And that there was a few areas where the water seemed murky or thick. I believe it could be the gravel perhaps because its much bigger, and food and waste don't seem to go under the gravel it just settles above it. Should I also change the gravel? I bought the gravel at walmart and this isn't the first time I've heard of murky water with gravel bought at walmart. I really appreciate the help!
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
I got rid of the jack dempseys for the time being my friend is holding those in his 50 gallon (only two because we recently returned two because we made a pair) while I get my 80-90 gallon tank. I got my water tested today and everything seems to be fine except for the ammonia levels being 0.2. Which indicates stress and also the water was slightly hard. I have done a water change today and will probably do so in the next few days. I will get a test tomorrow also to check on the ammonia levels again.

I watched the fish for awhile and I noticed that he moves all of his fins to swim except his caudal fin. It seems that he tries to move it but just can't do it. Also the anal fin is starting to get black spots on it also and his gills are black but not as dark as they once were.

I also noticed during the water change that the water had a strange smell to it that my other tank has never had. And that there was a few areas where the water seemed murky or thick. I believe it could be the gravel perhaps because its much bigger, and food and waste don't seem to go under the gravel it just settles above it. Should I also change the gravel? I bought the gravel at walmart and this isn't the first time I've heard of murky water with gravel bought at walmart. I really appreciate the help!
Posted via Mobile Device

Smell could be indication that filter needs cleaning and vaccuming the gravel would help.
Ammonia levels above zero are stressful to lethal for fishes and who is to say that at some point during the day that the ammonia levels do not increase such as after feedings.
Twice weekly water changes of no less than 50 percent as mentioned earlier will provide much better conditions that favor the fish.
Reducing the amount of food offered to once each day, and only as much as you actually see the fish eat in a couple minutes will also help prevent excess food = ammonia from laying about in the tank.
feed the fish,,not the tank.;-)

#6 ·
Update: I've changed my water twice now in these past 5 days and the condition of my convict seems to be getting better slowly. She now swims around the whole tank but it seems her caudal fin is still stopping her from moving fast enough for her to get food or swim away. the filter was in fact one of the biggest problems. All my other filters get cleaned every two weeks and I've decided to keep an eye on this one because it seems that this one needs more maintenance. Its a tetra filter. The other two I have are aqueon. Other than that everything seems fine now :). Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.