Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Pending Disaster? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/pending-disaster-58760/)

jcinnb 01-02-2011 08:51 AM

Pending Disaster?

I got my 55 gal off Craig's List. Good price.

I noticed that the middle top support, plastic piece that goes across top of tank, was cracked when I got it. Did not think it mattered, as I was going for 48 inch lighting/hood. However, before filling, I epoxied it back together and got, what I felt, was a good bond.

When filling the tank, we heard a pop and the epoxied "fix" on the middle support had broken, AND the tank was bowed about 1/2 inch, total. Did not and has not leaked. But that scared me.

Anyway, yesterday I noticed that the top left corner of trim was split, you know, the corner had a rip in it. I am 90% sure this was like that when I got it, but not positive.

Still no leakage, but I am now worrying about a structural issue. I guess I felt the trim was just decorative or safety, but now thinking there may be a structural component.

Any suggestions, warning, comments. I have not yet loaded my main fish yet, they start to arrive on Tuesday, but I have a full and partially planted tank. Still, no amount of effort is worse than 55 gal on family room floor.

H E L P ! ! ! !

jcinnb

willow 01-02-2011 08:58 AM

hay.
gosh,i'm so sorry not to have any advise,but i don't like
the sound of you saying once you filled it's bowed !
hopefullly someone can up lift this not so happy situation.

tanker 01-02-2011 10:24 AM

That thing in the middle is called a cross-brace so the name would suggest that it has a structural purpose. If I were you I'd drain the tank and seek some advice from a professional. My aquarium shop guy builds tanks as well so perhaps someone at an aquarium shop would have the necessary knowledge. I wouldn't take the risk of the tank failing and I wouldn't be happy until I'd had it professionally assessed and could be sure that it was sound. The consequences don't bear thinking about....

iamgray 01-02-2011 10:37 AM

Know any welders? I had a problem with bowing on my 67g tank, and had someone weld me a frame for the top out of 1/4" angle iron. It was cheap as free, and strong as... Well... Steel. :)

jcinnb 01-02-2011 01:16 PM

Thanks guys, just got back from Petsmart with new tank and hood. I know Petsmart takes a lot of heat, but they gave me full credit on the hood I had bought from them last week to fit on the ill fated tank.

Like many have said, it just was not worth the risk, and with the hood credit, the entire new deal cost less than $40.00. Now the work begins.

willow 01-02-2011 01:22 PM

that's good news,i'm really glad you did that.
will you be able to post pictures ?

Romad 01-02-2011 01:24 PM

Nice! I was just about to post and say that if iit were me, I'd empty the tank immediately and get a new one.

Have fun with the new setup and post some pics. when you can.

tanker 01-02-2011 04:10 PM

That's good. You'll be able to sleep at night with a new tank. It's good that you found out so quickly that the other tank was flawed, and not after you'd put your new fish in it.

jcinnb 01-02-2011 04:25 PM

I had 6 cherry barbs in for three days, they appear to have made it through. I siphoned a lot, 7 five gallon buckets of old tank water which had about a week of service, so I only had to add about 15 gallons (the new tank is not as tall and is 50 gal, which I really like.

Not counting the quart or so of tank water I drank, it was hard work, but a lot easier to set the second tank up than the first. Water had just gotten very clear, but is again, murky, but.......it is a new tank and everyone feels much better.

tanker 01-02-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcinnb (Post 548980)
Not counting the quart or so of tank water I drank,

Starting the siphon? You can do it without sucking on the end if you fill the tube, lift the filled end up, then quickly get it back underwater before the air goes out of it.