Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Question regarding heater/temperature for these tropical fish... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-regarding-heater-temperature-these-tropical-58686/)

Jessibel 01-01-2011 09:38 AM

Question regarding heater/temperature for these tropical fish...

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Newbie here! Have a 14 gal tank, currently with Zebra Danios and will be adding a small school of Neon Tetras OR Cardinal Tetras in a few weeks...

I'm having an issue with the 50Watt heater that came with the tank setup. From the start, the 'on' light never worked but it seemed to be heating the water gradually anyway... however, the temp stopped rising at 73 degrees and no amount of adjusting will seem to increase it any further. (i.e. I think the heater's busted.) I picked up a new 50W heater yesterday but when I went to open the box, I realized I had gotten the one with no temperature adjustment.:-?

It is the "Tetra Submersible Heater - 50W - for 2-15 gallon aquaruims"
It says it will maintain the temp at 78 +-2 degrees. I'm concerned because the Zebras' temp range is 65-77F. The Neons' is 68-78F and the Cardinals' is 73-81F ...

Coomparing the ranges, I'm thinking the best option for the other school will be the Neons... but If the Zebras' range is 77 max, and technically the heater could maintain 80F would it be a better idea to return this heater and find an adjustable one? Does anyone have experience with this particular heater? Have you found it generally runs high or low?

I'm so neurotic! I'm not overly concerned about the zebras at the moment, because the current water temp is at midrange for them... but I don't want it to be too cold when we add the others... or is 73 fine for all of them? I know I've read that its better to keep the water temp in the upper range for the fish...

Thanks in advance for the advice!

catdawg426 01-01-2011 11:30 PM

I would try to return it. It's on the upper limit for the Danios, and higher water temp means the fish digest more, higher evaporation, and higher ammonia levels. I've kept danios with no heater at all, it never got too cold in our house at night. But you will probably want to get a new one so the Cardinals can be comfortable.

tanker 01-01-2011 11:44 PM

I would try to return it too. My heaters are all adjustable, but the temperature they are set to and the temperature recorded by the thermometers differ and I had to adjust them from their original settings. An adjustable thermostat would give you greater control over your tank's setting.

Jessibel 01-02-2011 12:02 AM

Thanks. That's what I thought... but wanted to see if anyone knew if they tended to run low. Never opened the box so returning shouldn't be a problem. Zebra Danios & Neon Tetras seem like they would be a better temperature match, I think... No?

1077 01-02-2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessibel (Post 548459)
Thanks. That's what I thought... but wanted to see if anyone knew if they tended to run low. Never opened the box so returning shouldn't be a problem. Zebra Danios & Neon Tetras seem like they would be a better temperature match, I think... No?

Yes Zebra danios and neon tetra's would both enjoy temp around 74 degrees F.
I agree with others ,best to have heater that you can adjust to maintain stable temp.