Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need Some tips (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-some-tips-58681/)

milindsaraswala 01-01-2011 04:07 AM

Need Some tips

My friend was having 8 gallon small tank and live plants in that. But as he was not taking care of it all fish one by one start dying and only 1 neon tetra is there now. His tank become green due algae. Now as he cannot take care he gave me the tank.

First of all I did is remove all plants from the tank and I clean it properly and remove algae from it and put fresh water in it and again I introduce that single living neon tetra in it. I know that neon tetra should be minimum 6 in group but I want to check it some days for Cycling though I use old stuff only.

I have some experience of fish keeping with me. But still I need some tips from experts over here. Before when I was having fish tank I having problem of fish jumping out of my tank. So this time I need cover for it. So where can i find that cover can somebody help me or can somebody have any DYI idea for cover. I also need tip for changing water with water pipe not with bucket as it is very difficult and also it disturb fish inside tank. Next help I need for stocking as I told you I have 8 gallon tank with only 1 Neon tetra. I need some center fish also. I thinking for beta fish as center piece.

I need to tip that which filter is good for my tank filter inside my tank or filter outside tank

Kindly give some extra tips also that can help me.

tanker 01-01-2011 05:58 AM

In relation to the cover, do you have an aquarium supply shop you can go to? Mine cuts glass covers to any size you want. Otherwise, you could find a glass supplier and see if you could get one cut to your tank's measurements.

In relation to changing the water, you can buy a siphon and use that to drain the water either into a bucket or, if you attach it to a hosepipe, outside or into a sink. You can fill the tank with the hose as well, or use a bucket. I used a bucket for ages and my fish didn't mind.

I wouldn't put a betta with neons. Your betta might eat your neons and they'd both possibly nip each others' fins. Maybe a honey gourami? You need something that won't get very big and that doesn't need a huge amount of swimming room.

What filter you choose is entirely a matter of preference. Obviously an in-tank filter will take up some of your limited tank space and a filter which hangs off the back will need you to have some extra room at the back or side of your tank where the filter goes. Just figure out which you are going to get before you get a cover, because you'll need the cover to accommodate your choice.

bearwithfish 01-01-2011 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milindsaraswala (Post 547729)
My friend was having 8 gallon small tank and live plants in that. But as he was not taking care of it all fish one by one start dying and only 1 neon tetra is there now. His tank become green due algae. Now as he cannot take care he gave me the tank.

First of all I did is remove all plants from the tank and I clean it properly and remove algae from it and put fresh water in it and again I introduce that single living neon tetra in it. I know that neon tetra should be minimum 6 in group but I want to check it some days for Cycling though I use old stuff only.

I have some experience of fish keeping with me. But still I need some tips from experts over here. Before when I was having fish tank I having problem of fish jumping out of my tank. So this time I need cover for it. So where can i find that cover can somebody help me or can somebody have any DYI idea for cover. I also need tip for changing water with water pipe not with bucket as it is very difficult and also it disturb fish inside tank. Next help I need for stocking as I told you I have 8 gallon tank with only 1 Neon tetra. I need some center fish also. I thinking for beta fish as center piece.

I need to tip that which filter is good for my tank filter inside my tank or filter outside tank

Kindly give some extra tips also that can help me.

lets take this from the start of your post 1st very nice of you to take care of this tank!! and a really good idea to clean it.... as you know about the cycle i will not continue there....... as for a cover most hardware stores carry plexi glass you can cut your self and its fairly goos just put a few small holes in it to help with gas exchange (the advice above is great too thanx tanker) as for a filter just about any typical HOB filter will work fine for a small tank like this i personally would not get all fancy with it but thats just me....
please post pix and keep us up dated as to how things are developing for you...