Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   How long does it take for mom to finish birthing? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/how-long-does-take-mom-finish-5857/)

oop.allie 05-14-2007 12:03 PM

How long does it take for mom to finish birthing?

Long story made short....I have a female platy that I noted was pregnant and about to pop so I put her in a net cage to deliver her fry. There are a couple of fry in the net with her...How do I know she's "done" delivering? I'd like to take her out to ensure that she doesn't start eating her offspring! Thanks for any help!

KishFeeper 05-14-2007 04:15 PM

Her gravid spot will become lighter, And she will be thinner.
There should be at least 30+ fry if there is she is almost done.

bettachris 05-14-2007 04:23 PM

depends on alot of factors, size of the fish, how pregnant etc.... tank conditions .....

but generally look for when she is skinny... also the the wiggling motion should stop. and normal behaviour is occuring.

lioness501 05-15-2007 03:25 AM

i usually leave my females for at least 6 hours before moving them. this is to not cause stress. it can take up to 12 hours for them to finish giving birth. if u move her too soon, this could stress her out and if she is still giving birth, could result in her aborting the rest and sometimes could cause problems in giving birth and 1 could get stuck. while she is in the net put in a little food for her to keep her mind off eating the fry. i have never had any of mine eat their fry whilst in a breeder net

oop.allie 05-15-2007 08:14 AM

Gravid spot still visible...

Well, I thought it was a longer process b/c the gravid spot is still there and her sides are still poofed out...and there are only 3 or 4 fry. So do I take her out now?

lioness501 05-15-2007 10:11 AM

the gravid spot will not completely disappear. cos the female can keep sperm inside her for upto 6 months there will always b babies of different ages inside her belly. if there r only 4 fry after that long that is all she will have no more so i would tak eher out yes

Falina 05-15-2007 10:48 AM

Livebearers can have anything from 2-100 fry.

Often, the more batches of fry a fish will have, the more fry per batch.

I would definitely take her out now - there's no point stressing her. She's done her job, and a good job at that, let her rest now.

fish_4_all 05-23-2007 11:54 PM

I have seen it takes between 10 minutes and 2 days for a complete birth cycle. I do not suggest keeping momma in the net breeder that long though. Once she has been in there 6 hours giving birth it is time to take her out and let the rest, if any, of the fry take their chances.

If my large female sowrds are any indicator of the gravid spot, the largest 2 have had a gravid spot for more than 6 months. I don't think it has ever went away since the first batch for either one.