Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Cycling a 20g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/cycling-20g-58538/)

jbonez 12-30-2010 01:56 PM

Cycling a 20g

1 Attachment(s)
WATER IS A LIL CLOUDY TODAY ALL THE TEST KIT READINGS ARE NORMAL? THE TANK WAS RAN FOR A YEAR BUT SAT FOR LIKE 3 MONTHS IN A GARAGE :cry:

cbirk 12-31-2010 01:02 AM

is it cloudy after you just reset it up? If it sat in the garage long enough for everything to dry out, then it doesn't matter how long it was ran before as all the bacteria would have died. So you will have to cycle the tank again. If it is cloudy because you just put substrate in then it should clear up within a day, if something else is going on then more information is needed.

LasColinasCichlids 01-05-2011 07:23 PM

When I was cycling my 29 gallon it started to get cloudy after a week. I hadnt cycled a tank in YEARS, and Petsmart, where I bought my initial set up, said that I didnt need fish to cycle my tank (as I had thought you did). So after a week of "cycling" with no fish, the cloudiness set in. So I called my dad, who is some what of a aquarium expert, and he seemed disappointed that I had forgotten the biggest "DUH" of tank cycling...you cant cycle a tank without fish to create biological material! Within 24 hours of putting my Firemouth cichlids in the tank, it cleared up, and has completely cycled in just at about 5 weeks.

Anyways, my point is that you should add some hardy fish to cycle your tank with. Try and make sure you like the type of fish you get because it might make it through the cycle. If the cloudiness persists after a few days of putting a fish in there (and all your water tests come out to a normal range), consider a partial water change. If nothing else works and the issue cant be found...there is drops to de-cloud tanks.

Hope this helps some. Your tank set up looks very pretty, curious to what kind of fishies you plan on keeping in it!

jbonez 01-05-2011 07:56 PM

ya i have 3 zebra danios & 2 mollies i had them in for about a week now the tank has been cycling for 8 days now.

LasColinasCichlids 01-05-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbonez (Post 551856)
ya i have 3 zebra danios & 2 mollies i had them in for about a week now the tank has been cycling for 8 days now.

Awesome! Is that what you are hoping to keep in your tank?

jbonez 01-13-2011 09:20 AM

over 3 weeks now????

ive been doing 25 to 50% water changes everyday to every other day my ammonia is still .50 and my nitrates not nitrites are 5.0.... should i change the media in my filter or what??? also i use API stress coat & stress zyme everytime i do a water change..

the fish are doing fine as far as i can see the water is crystal clear but no nitries yet

any info can help if possiable thanks all...

bearwithfish 01-13-2011 10:33 AM

here is a good read on cycling a tank
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

a note however you do not need to have fish in to cycle and it actually is better if you dont use live fish for it.... i personally use an uncooked shrimp and a bit of media from another tank to get things going.. if you can not get the media then a jar or bottled Bacteria works well also and you can be cycled fairly fast (1-3 weeks) using media and a shrimp you can get it done a bit faster still (2 days to 2 weeks) IME.....

jbonez 01-13-2011 11:23 AM

so many otheres said to use danios etc so thats what i did im just hoping it cycles soon :(

jbonez 01-13-2011 11:30 AM

i also have been vacuming my gravel was i suppose to or not :(

bearwithfish 01-13-2011 11:37 AM

i would vac half each week at your normal w/c.. IME this helps keep the clean look and keeps the BB going well...