Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What to put in a 5 gallon tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-put-5-gallon-tank-58468/)

pepper44 12-29-2010 05:22 PM

What to put in a 5 gallon tank?

I currently have a 5 gallon tank on my kitchen counter. It has 3 Neons in it, but they hide all the time so it looks empty. I would like to add something else eye catching, but I don't want to overstock the tank. Any recommendations?

Right now the tank has a filter, a light, but no heater. (It's near a window and a heating vent so the thermometer stays around 70-75 degrees in the winter.)

The tank also has a small sunken building decoration that the fish can swim in, and a plastic grass looking plant. I would like to add a live plant too, at some point.

Fish I'm considering--not all, just some of the following, or just one...
Dwarf Gourami (one or two?)
Male Guppies
Male Betta
Shrimp
Crab?
Dwarf Frog(s)
More Neons or other similar small bright colored fishies
Snail?

Open to suggestions too.

Cmmc23 12-29-2010 05:53 PM

I would think that adding shrimp would be really fun! Dwarf frogs are great but they really should be in a group of 3-5 and that would be a bit crowded I would think. Ghost shrimp are awsome and usually not shy they would be fine with the tetras.

SinCrisis 12-30-2010 12:39 PM

neons are hiding cuz they are stressed, they are shoaling/schooling fish so you need at least 5. And at 5 your 5g is about stocked, could prolly add some RCS to get it to be more colorful. Also neons need around 78-82F water, they are also hiding because of the temp. Get a nano heater and increase their size and they will be out and about a lot more.

As for your list
Many of those fishes you mentioned will not work in combination, dwarf gouramis should not be kept in pairs in such a small space, if you get one then you need to move your tetras. Guppies are fine, but you should really be into increasing ur tetras school size since otherwise they will just hide and die. Bettas should not be kept with guppies and will do ok with the neons but might pick on them a little adding to stress and might kill them. shrimp like RCS and ghost shrimp will be fine with tetras, not with the betta or gourami though. Crabs are messy, i would avoid them. Any crab will also likely eat your neons. Frogs should not be kept in a 5g, they need more space. 2 or 3 more neons is the best option. Snails like MTS will be beneficial, larger snails like apples or nerites will be ok too just keep the apple snails to 1 or 2 and get rid of their eggs since your tanks too small for all of them to compete.

redchigh 12-30-2010 12:55 PM

With a good filter and maybe some live plants, 6 neons and 5-6 red cherry shrimp would be fine.

+1 on getting a heater.

pepper44 01-01-2011 11:01 AM

I added a heater to their tank this morning. Within 5 minutes they came out of hiding and all three of them are huddled next to the heater! I think they like it.

Since I just set up their tank, I'm going to wait a week and then add three more Neons. Then I'll wait a couple weeks and add a few cherry shrimp if I can find them for sale.

I used decorations and some gravel from another aquarium, along with 50% water from an already cycled aquarium, so I'm hoping the water won't get cloudy. It's been several days and so far so good.

Thanks for the advice!

pepper44 01-01-2011 11:03 AM

Oh one last question, if I get an apple snail or black mystery snail will they be alright with the shrimp?

SinCrisis 01-01-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper44 (Post 547813)
I added a heater to their tank this morning. Within 5 minutes they came out of hiding and all three of them are huddled next to the heater! I think they like it.

Since I just set up their tank, I'm going to wait a week and then add three more Neons. Then I'll wait a couple weeks and add a few cherry shrimp if I can find them for sale.

I used decorations and some gravel from another aquarium, along with 50% water from an already cycled aquarium, so I'm hoping the water won't get cloudy. It's been several days and so far so good.

Thanks for the advice!

That is awesome, when the rest of the tank reaches the same temp, they will begin to show more colors and swim around more.

As for apple snail, they will work fine. Keep in mind though that the shrimp will likely breed, so their numbers will increase, and in turn add to your bioload.