Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Neon blue guppy fry color, safe to assume yellow will always turn red? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/neon-blue-guppy-fry-color-safe-58387/)

ReneeB 12-28-2010 06:39 PM

Neon blue guppy fry color, safe to assume yellow will always turn red?

I was just curious as I'm watching the lil fry grow. They were born with black and now at about 4 weeks old some have yellow showing on their fins. From reading... if blue is absent of yellow, is it safe to assume these guys will have red fins and not blue?

The two females (separate lines) seem to throw blue & red, no yellows. So if I cross a nice red with a nice blue, I should be able to keep the neon blue line showing? Two blues will make a dull color correct? I also have a wild male I plan to experiment with, he has some great blue and purple coloring on his body. I also order a nice blond to cross with a neon blue to help the black.

Funny how this started with LFS guppies to help clean the GSP tank as no algae eater liked brackish. Now 3 guppy tank later :)

Thanks!

Marginatus 12-29-2010 03:34 AM

I'm sorry that I can't be more certain but I believe that your assumption is correct, the neon blue colour is linked to a red gene although they are normally called pinks as it's a slightly different shade and a different gene to that which you find in most reds.

I also only started keeping Guppies again to feed my Piranha, now it's become a bit of an obsession, the genetics side of it is fascinating.

fryup 01-02-2011 03:52 PM

i hav e to agree that the genetics are definatly something to get the mind working :):):) truely facinating :)

ReneeB 01-02-2011 07:52 PM

Patients is a tough one too watching them day by day :) I have the tanks in my home office.

If I could ever get this columnaris under control thou :( It takes out so many :( :( :( It's the kind that effects the base of the back fin and the top fin. I start removing the "ify" ones to a q tank the second I think I see it. Treat with salt (1.005 from GSP tank) and Jungle Guard. Off to buy Maracyn, I'm getting desperate. Hopefully these ones will make it so I can tell if all the yellow turns read, and the still black goes blue.

ReneeB 01-08-2011 03:08 PM

To follow up, any fry that had yellow show up is now turning red (even if the top fin looked blue). The ones with blue held their black w no other color showing, then the blue has just started to barely show ( bout the same time as the yellows turned red). This is only from watching two batches of neon blues, not enough for a conclusion, but just an observation :)

fryup 01-10-2011 03:25 AM

i have fry from a blue male and red female and the fry stay yellow till they hit 1 month ish and then there tails have got black spots and yellow in the tail :):)

fryup 01-10-2011 03:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
here is mom the red tailed fish, dad , he very dificult to picture coz he dosnt stay still ....and 1 of 5 fry i had survive in my tank , you can see the black yellow AND red in his tail, the dad is blue and half endler so his boby has endler markings and the fry are starting to get the black endler marking on there body :):):)

fryup 01-10-2011 03:43 AM

the theory you have bout the colour genetics of the parents to the fry i have to agree with you because im seeing it in my tank and im in the UK :):):)

fryup 01-10-2011 03:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and i have to show you this male (i have 2) he is a iralied pink glass guppy and his tail is huge i hope to have fry from these 2 :):):)

ReneeB 01-10-2011 12:35 PM

Wow, he is gorgeous! I'm hoping for similar results with the neon blue and wild guppy. I've had one fry make it and start to turn. Forever he was gray, then finally in the last couple days I can see the circles and lines starting to form on his body! His tail is still clear, so fingers crossed he goes blue :) Daddy was defiantly my wild guy ;) I hope to cross him with some of the neon virgins once old enough.

As I type, I'm watching my neon blue give birth to another batch. She is 20/21 days on the mark :)