Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Need advice regarding ich and my inhabitants. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/need-advice-regarding-ich-my-inhabitants-5835/)

MattD 05-13-2007 03:39 PM

Need advice regarding ich and my inhabitants.

Hello.

Just today I noticed several white dots all over my Betta's fins. They weren't there several days ago, now they are. I believe some are beginning to form on my catfish.

I believe it is ich.

How can I treat my entire tank, especially since I have 4 scaleless fish and two shrimp? I can't use salt, and I can't find too much info on common ich meds when used with scaleless fish.

Someone help, I went through hell to establish my tank, I'll be damned if this kills my boys.

frogman6 05-13-2007 04:30 PM

well definetly get some ich medication they sell it at just about every petstore

one of the main causes of ich is that the temp is to low do u know wat ur temp is

and the meds shouldnt hurt ur corys or shrimp i dont think

MattD 05-13-2007 08:16 PM

So basically I need to buy some ich medication, lots of it, raise my temp, and treat them for a couple of weeks. I think I may just treat my Betta, cause the dots I thought were on my catfish, at a closer look, are the designs on their skin.

If it is just my Betta I have a separate tank for him to treat him in. I think I'll move him there tonight and then see what happens with my main tank. If no other spots appear, then perhaps I saved my tank in time.

Lupin 05-13-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattD
If it is just my Betta I have a separate tank for him to treat him in. I think I'll move him there tonight and then see what happens with my main tank. If no other spots appear, then perhaps I saved my tank in time.

Not a good method. Ich will still be in your main tank. They will reappear if your other fish become stressed. It is recommended to treat the whole tank.

You can't use salt I suppose?

MattD 05-13-2007 08:45 PM

No I can't with my catfish in the tank.

Perhaps I should remove the shrimp, put THEM in my far tinier tank, and treat my whole main tank.

So essentially I need to halve the doses of most ich medicines in order to keep my catfish safe from the normal doses? Will the treatment still be effective?

Lupin 05-13-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

No I can't with my catfish in the tank.

Dissolve salt first before you put it in your tank.
Quote:

So essentially I need to halve the doses of most ich medicines in order to keep my catfish safe from the normal doses?
For scaleless fish such as loaches.
Quote:

Will the treatment still be effective?
It still is although full dosage is more effective. Treat for two weeks minimum, not when all the spots disappeared.

MattD 05-14-2007 02:35 AM

Any benefits are lost if dissolved first then added.

Lupin 05-14-2007 05:24 AM

Quote:

No. It is still the same as adding the salt straight away without dissolving. Is this a question or a statement?:question:

Falina 05-14-2007 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

No. It is still the same as adding the salt straight away without dissolving. Is this a question or a statement?:question:

If scaless fish are present then it's important to dissolve it first otherwise it can burn the slim coat off the fish.

MattD 05-14-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

According to Bettababy in the stickied ich post, it's a statement. I've never used salt before since I was under the impression my catfish wouldn't be able to handle it.