Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Clarifying Green Water? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/clarifying-green-water-5834/)

tigga 05-13-2007 04:00 PM

Clarifying Green Water?

Heyy

I had this serious algae bloom. I covered the tank with a heavy blanket for 24 hours and now my water is all green. The algae on the gravel, glass, etc. are all gone but the water is fully green. I can't see anything inside the tank. I heard that chemicals can work to clarify the water but some can also kill the bacteria/fish in the tank. So what should I do? What are some good water clarifying methods?

Thanks

daisycutter 05-13-2007 04:39 PM

buy a couple of bags of dapnia they will eat this and multiply

Captain Crab 05-13-2007 04:46 PM

mean green

Now why did you put a heavy blanket over your aquarium??? LOL sorry i didn't mean to laugh.there are only two reasons your tank is getting algae blooms. its getting too much light from the sun or some other source.Or it has too much food or waste in the water.try doing a couple of water changes but only remove 50% of the contents of your tank each time.And turn off your light till this clears up. Is the tank in a sunny window?

tigga 05-13-2007 07:58 PM

Re: mean green

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Crab
Now why did you put a heavy blanket over your aquarium??? LOL sorry i didn't mean to laugh.there are only two reasons your tank is getting algae blooms. its getting too much light from the sun or some other source.Or it has too much food or waste in the water.try doing a couple of water changes but only remove 50% of the contents of your tank each time.And turn off your light till this clears up. Is the tank in a sunny window?

I dont think 50% change at once is a good idea. The sunny shines toward the side. I covered that area with aluminum foil. The heavy blanket did help out with the blooms on the gravel and glass, so there was a positive side to it. I just have green water now. I can do water changes but I heard some water clarifiers will do the trick.

Lupin 05-13-2007 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisycutter
buy a couple of bags of dapnia they will eat this and multiply

Provided he doesn't have a fish yet.:lol: And if he does, it's bye-bye for the daphnias before they can even start making short work for green water.:lol:

Daz 05-14-2007 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Provided he doesn't have a fish yet.

He is a she :oops:

MattD 05-14-2007 04:04 AM

It's mentioned far too many times: Algone.

http://www.algonecorp.com/ If your tank looks anything like that, Algone will help.

Lupin 05-14-2007 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz

My apologies to Tigga.:shock:

It's not easy to know each other's gender.:(

daisycutter 05-14-2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz

My apologies to Tigga.:shock:

It's not easy to know each other's gender.:(

:shock:

fish_4_all 05-14-2007 05:59 PM

Well 50% is not too much for water changes. I change at least 50% once a week and have for well over 2 years.

As for the algae, the sunlight is likely the cause of the green water but it can be caused from a lack of a certain nutrient or most of them. Green water can take a while to go away so be patient. Water changes can be a bad thing though if your tap water has a lot of nutrients.

Algone does work according to a lot of members and could eliminate the green water and what caused it. Just be ready to need to use it off and on if you don't find the underlying cause.