Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Frozen Blood Worm Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/frozen-blood-worm-question-58183/)

bigehugedome 12-25-2010 08:24 PM

Frozen Blood Worm Question

First off, Merry Christmas if to you if you celebrate!

I finally got frozen food for my tanks. I got Hikari UVX Blood Worms, that come in the cubes. This is my first time feeding frozen. What i did was pop a cube out into a cup, and let it thaw for about 30mins. I then took some tank water and put it in the cup, I figured I should do that because you are supposed to soak freeze dried. Well i took a baster and sucked some up and a lot came out into the tank. My Black Neon Tetras and Hengel Rasbora gobbled most up, the rest sank to the bottom and my 5 zebra loaches quickly ate them as well. My new pearl gourami, who has been very shy also grabbed some, and now he is swimming all over the tank, so I hope this helped him to finally come out of hiding. My Cory's had no interest (that is another question i will post in another thread today or tomorrow).

Sorry for the story, now my question. What is everyone's strategy when it comes to distributing frozen food. How do you get it to the bottom dwellers, and how do you make sure all the top/mid level fish get some. Like i said, plenty sank to the bottom, but if the tetra would not have stopped eating them if they were fast enough. Also, how many worms should be fed. The cube had ALOT, and i knew that this was way to much so i ended up tossing some. Luckily i did not feed them yesterday because I knew I was giving them frozen today and I did not want to overfeed. If they look bloated I wont feed them tomorrow. My sig will have my updated fish numbers so maybe someone can help me decide how much food to feed based on my stock.

1077 12-26-2010 08:53 AM

I usually offer blood worms once or twice a week. I draw some tank water into a cup and let it thaw for 10 to 15 minutes. I then pour a little into the tank and save the rest in the fridge. That night,after the tank lights have been off for a while, or just before lights on in the morning,I feed the rest of the worms.
In this way the bottom feeders get some before the other's see it.(too dark)
For the numbers of fish you have in the 29 gal., One cube would be about right.

sik80 12-26-2010 10:50 AM

i defrost a cube in little tank water in a cup. I then chop them up into little pieces using a pair of scissors - this way there's more pieces to go around and some of the smaller tetras will get a chance. To make sure the corys and rams get some i use a pipette to put some on the substrate

SilersAngryMeow 12-26-2010 09:33 PM

I have a comparable number of fish in my tank (6 tetras, 3 rasboras, 6 loaches, 2 danios, and 3 SAEs) in my tank. When I feed those block bloodworms, I usually use 1/4 of a block per feeding.

My technique is to break up the block while it's frozen, and dissolve the portion I'm about to use in tank water. I then use a transfer pipet (or an eyedropper) to squirt the worms all over: some on the bottom for the loaches, some at the top for the others. I still haven't really perfected the art. I have some fast (and FAT) fish that get a lot more than others. The tetras and the algae eaters, in particular, are greedy buggers!

SinCrisis 12-26-2010 09:51 PM

I use a worm feeder, one of those cones that you suction to the side of the glass. I just drop a cube in and the worms stick out of the sides as it thaws and as fish go after it, it shakes and a bunch of the worms fall to the bottom, ~1/4 - 1/3 of the cube gets to the floor since my top and mid fish go after the cone and ignore the falling ones

bigehugedome 12-29-2010 05:05 PM

Cool everyone, guess ill try some things out and see what works best for me.