Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   maybe a saltwater 55g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/maybe-saltwater-55g-58074/)

jroush21 12-23-2010 10:29 PM

maybe a saltwater 55g
 
i have a 55 gallon freash water tank and would like to change it to saltwater tank one of my friends just got a 55g so all my current fish will go to his so they all have homes but im still wondering if i am ready to take the leap into salt water
how much live rock and sand would i need for this and if i start off with a FOWLR tank can it be easily be made into a reef tank or would a FOWLR tank be the best route i have be resurching up for the past two months so i have a beginners knowledge on this new hobby im just looking for some advice from an experienced keeper

NickC5FE 12-24-2010 05:05 AM

I am new to saltwater as well and actually have the same size tank as you, but from everything i have read or been told.....1-1.5 lbs per gallon should be sufficient.......Good luck!

reefsahoy 12-24-2010 07:39 AM

start here

Filtration and Water Chemistry Reference Library

Pasfur 12-24-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefsahoy (Post 541676)

Most certainly visit that link above. There is a lot of information there that will make conversation much easier for you on the threads.

For a 55 gallon tank and your first saltwater tank, I would suggest a fish only with live rock. This will be far less expensive and will ensure that you enjoy the marine side of the hobby before moving towards a reef or tank with invertebrates.

The important decision to make up front is this: sump or no sump?
You will find information on sumps included in the above link.


After you decide this, then we can make equipment suggestions and help with the live rock question. In fact, we can give you exact suggestions and links to internet sites which will save you some money on equipment and rock.

Pasfur 12-24-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickC5FE (Post 541660)
I am new to saltwater as well and actually have the same size tank as you, but from everything i have read or been told.....1-1.5 lbs per gallon should be sufficient.......Good luck!

This is basically true, but different types of rock have a different mass, which means that the size of the rock does not determine the weight. It is most important that you build a good size reef structure for your fish to fell secure. Your best bet is to look at some pictures of existing reef tanks so that you have a "feel" for what is appropriate.

jroush21 12-24-2010 09:13 PM

a fowlr tank sounds good to start with because i would like to be successful with this tank
i have heard all positve things about stumps so i will be getting one i think a 20g if that would work so i should have a 75g setup with display tank and stump added. and the filtration site you guys told me about have been read.
but i have a few questions will i need to drill holes in the back of my tank or will i be able to use the "U" siphon one cant rember the name right off hand and also for a Q tank can that be a ten gallon and could i use my filters that i have on my tank now for my Q tank

reefsahoy 12-24-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jroush21 (Post 542138)
a fowlr tank sounds good to start with because i would like to be successful with this tank
i have heard all positve things about stumps so i will be getting one i think a 20g if that would work so i should have a 75g setup with display tank and stump added. and the filtration site you guys told me about have been read.
but i have a few questions will i need to drill holes in the back of my tank or will i be able to use the "U" siphon one cant rember the name right off hand and also for a Q tank can that be a ten gallon and could i use my filters that i have on my tank now for my Q tank


here's what is important for reef tanks. if the tank is not reef ready use the HOB prefilter in the first pic.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...r-tanks-55195/

jroush21 12-25-2010 11:23 AM

Will I need that over flow if I only want a Fowlr tank

reefsahoy 12-25-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jroush21 (Post 542363)
Will I need that over flow if I only want a Fowlr tank

Need? no but i'd highly recommend it! it will make life alot easier. i personally wouldn't even start a SW tank without some type of surface skimming going on. read the surface skimming info.

jroush21 12-25-2010 02:55 PM

Is there a HOB one I can buy. And also what is a good DYI stump setup


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2