Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   quick question about cherry barb compatability (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/quick-question-about-cherry-barb-compatability-58072/)

Salix 12-23-2010 09:55 PM

quick question about cherry barb compatability

I've read the description of these fish in the profile section of this website and it says that they're compatible with non-aggressive fish unlike other barbs which tend to be semi-aggressive, but I've read on other sites that it's best to keep barbs of any variety in a species only tank. I have a 45 gallon community that I'm stocking, currently it has 3 platies and 3 mollies and I plan on getting a few more of both species. Would six or seven cherry barbs be ok with these fish? Is there anyone who has cherry barbs kept in an aquarium with these types of fish and has had no problems? A little advice would be very much appreciated.

loachlover 12-25-2010 08:03 AM

Well from what i have herd they can vary from fish to fish. My friend once told me that "they are a more peaceful fish but they can also tear a fish apart out of nowhere" I always wanted to try them in a community tank but dont have the room. They might be better of with short finned fish, i have read that they like to nip.

Pasfur 12-25-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salix (Post 541504)
I've read the description of these fish in the profile section of this website and it says that they're compatible with non-aggressive fish unlike other barbs which tend to be semi-aggressive, but I've read on other sites that it's best to keep barbs of any variety in a species only tank. I have a 45 gallon community that I'm stocking, currently it has 3 platies and 3 mollies and I plan on getting a few more of both species. Would six or seven cherry barbs be ok with these fish? Is there anyone who has cherry barbs kept in an aquarium with these types of fish and has had no problems? A little advice would be very much appreciated.

In my freshwater days a large chunk of my tanks were dedicated to Barbs. The rumors of Cherry Barb aggression are totally unfounded, no doubt by people who are trying to generalize that "all Barbs are fin nippers". Cherry Barbs and Golden Barbs are both extremely passive and stick in tight schools. This would be a perfect fish for your tank.

I will point out that Cherry Barbs display their best colors under against a dark substrate. If you have colored gravel, you may want a different fish.

Salix 12-27-2010 04:29 PM

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it. The substrate that I have is dark, almost navy blue, gravel and a dark blue poster board for the background. I think it would really make the red pop in contrast to the blue. I have a sunburst mickey mouse platy that looks great against the blue and then the green of the plants. I'm a little hesitant to add some cherry barbs to my tank because my quarantine tank is only 10 gallons so I would only be able to get three barbs at a time, keep them in the tank gallon for a month and then buy three more when they've been moved to the 45 gallon. I'm a little worried that living in such close quarters could make them aggressive. Am I worrying over nothing or is that a possibility?

Pasfur 12-27-2010 05:11 PM

I would personally quarantine all 6 Cherry Barbs at the same time. These are tiny fish, so the waste production is minimal. A pair of Platy's are likely to produce more waste than 6 Cherry Barbs, and I doubt you see ANY aggression from the school in quarantine. You could throw some extra plants in the quarantine if you wanted to break things up a bit, or whatever you have laying around that works for this purpose. A new string style mop head works well, provided it is not soap based.

Salix 12-28-2010 02:03 PM

thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

LasColinasCichlids 01-12-2011 02:16 AM

Cherry barbs are totally peaceful. I never had issues when I had them. I also know a couple of people who have only one or two in a very peaceful community tank and has no issues what so ever with them.

jcinnb 01-16-2011 06:24 PM

I put six cherry barbs in my tank when I started. They and I have been through hell and they are still standing tall.

They have not messed with any of the following: Rainbowfish (deceased), german rams (deceased) Celestial Pearl Danios (real tiny) and not much bigger porkshop rasboras. In fact the CPDs and the Porkers tend to school for short periods of time with the cherry barbs. They did not interact at all with two transient gold gouramis, either. And ignore my cories as well.

You might get a bad batch, but from my very limited experience, they are champs and true community fish.

In a month, pretty every conceivable thing has gone wrong, but the cherry barbs have shown no aggression.

They are my heros.

jcinnb