Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Strange Acting Guppie

5K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  jkamping 
#1 ·
Today I bought 2 female and 1 male guppies., the females are fine and forraging about and mixing fine with the other residents of the tank, but the male is acting strange.

Since 3pm today (its now 9.15pm), it has stayed in the same position at the top of the tank, its not moved from that position at all.

Is there something wrong with it?, or is it just new enviroment thats making it do this?, its strange that the females are fine but the male just stays at the top and dont move like he is treading water.

#2 · (Edited)
I think as long as he is is eating, there are no signs of disease, and water parameters are good he should be ok. I have a male that does this most of the day has for weeks but still eats fine and will come out and try to mate with my female every now and again. He is also the largest of my males I think he just likes to chill like that. Also just be adjusting to the new tank since you just got him.

#3 · (Edited)
I think as long as he is is eating, there are no signs of disease, and water parameters are good he should be ok. I have a male that does this most of the day has for weeks but still eats fine and will come out and try to mate with my female every now and again. He is also the largest of my males I think he just likes to chill like that.
Its just strange to see a fish acting like that, will see what he is like in the morning after it had a few hours of darkness (tank is in living room), i turned the tank light off but he still stays there, same position, while reast all swimming about all areas of tank.
He is tiny compared to the large female, she is nearly double size, the other female slightly bigger than the male, but he is pretty small.

I fed them around 7pm and think he ate something but tbh not that much.

***observation***
When I saw the guppies in the shop they looked real nice, but when in my tank they not so nice looking. One female has bright specked tail, the big female has a faint hint of orange body and tail but is pretty transparent and you can see its spine and stomach etc... the male is just a slightly darker orange than the female but no color.
I dont think they are as nice looking as a Platy.
Maybe I am just not a guppie lover?, they might grow on me.

#6 ·
I checked all my water and all things fine with it, i did the usual, left bags on tank water for 10 mins, opened bag added some water for 5 mins then did again for another 5 mins before netting them and put in tank.
From start females fine and all over the place explaoring, but from the moment the make was added stayed in same spot since.

He does not seem to be panting or gulping for ait, the most he is doing is active fin work to stay in same position.

#7 ·
I let them float in my aquarium in the bag from store for 30 min to get temp. adjusted. Then placed in hanging box and slowly did water changes removing water in bag from pet store and adding water from my tank. After completing that i put them in my tank. There is info i believe on this site and on web about acclimating new fish to your tank that go into more detail. Also using a Quarantine tank is best if you have an extra tank.

#8 · (Edited)
It was prob more than 10 mins anyway, as made a coffee then went out for a smoke so more like 15-20 mins...+ 5 + 5

I have just looked at him again, the top of his head is just grazing the surface and his side fins going like the clappers and he is shaking side to side. From the looks of him he does not look good, but suppose the morning will tell.

#10 ·
Also Very possible fish was sick from the pet store.
I have taken a video of the male, he is still swimming about in the same place. I did feed them aearlier and think he took a nibble but not sure.

#17 ·
I had a female guppy that was pretty lethargic all the time she was usually at the top of the tank just hanging out not moving much. Occasionally she would be at the bottom for a day or 2 and do the same. she would eat but not very active. Every now and then she would get an active spurt and swim with the rest but not very often. I found her dead yesterday. I had her for about a month and a half. Keep an eye on your new guy and make sure you look for him a couple times a day just in case. you don't want a death to hurt your parameters.

#19 ·
#21 ·
hard to say exactly looks early on though if i had a guess two weeks max. There are many things people say about the gravid spot to tell when she will have the fry, but the best way is to watch for her birth canal to drop. When she is very close her tummy will go from being round and huge to being squared off if you look at it from the back. This is how you will now for sure when she is about to drop. On my female's gravid spot will change from black to red the day she has them, but all fish are different so watch for that square belly.

#20 ·
... also

the male still has not moved from his position, its like a sentry watching its post. he is eating through, seen him eat some things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.