Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Anyone know Kuhli Loach Breeders? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/anyone-know-kuhli-loach-breeders-58027/)

mjbn 12-23-2010 11:54 AM

Anyone know Kuhli Loach Breeders?

Hey guys, I've been trying so hard to search for a couple more Kuhli Loaches to add to the 3 that i recently got a couple days ago. I can't find them at any local store so i'm hoping to order online. Does anyone know any loach breeders? I'm fine with getting the regular striped kuhli's but it'd be better if they bred black kuhli's, as those are the ones i have. I've looked up "kuhli loach breeder" on google to no avail. Help please, i want my loaches to be more comfortable and feel secure in the new tank! Thanks!

jaysee 12-23-2010 12:08 PM

I don't think they are easy to breed. From what I read, it just happens....or it doesn't.

Black kuhlis are actually a different species than the striped ones.

mjbn 12-23-2010 12:12 PM

Yes, i know, but i've been reading other threads about people looking for kuhli's and someone said to google for breeders. That's why i'm trying to see if anyone can recommend me to one because i couldn't find any off of google.

And yes, i know they are not the same. That's why i'm aiming for a couple more black kuhlis, but im fine with just striped ones.

stevenjohn21 12-23-2010 01:20 PM

i got mine from Petsmart Black Kuhli Loach - Tropical - Fish - PetSmart

im guessing your not from the states ?

mjbn 12-23-2010 01:36 PM

Ohyeah, i got mine from Petsmart as well, but they were the last 3 and they were on the brink of death. One was motionless, stuck to the intake filter and the other two were lying upside-down. They're doing great now in my tank but i want to get some more. I've check 2 petsmart's and i've only found those 3 loaches in 2 weeks of searching back and forth waiting for a restock. I got lucky when i got mine. It was their restocking day and there were only 3 left. So as you can see, it's pretty rare to have them in stock for even a day when they receive a new shipment.

stevenjohn21 12-23-2010 01:46 PM

well lucky you were around to save them ! I would just ask the manager if they can order them in anytime soon. Maybe its just a bad time of the year for pet stores to be stocking up on fish.

mjbn 12-23-2010 03:02 PM

Yup! the one that was stuck on the filter had 3 cuts/ripped skin from being stuck. Hoping there's no infection. &Are they usually in stock a lot in your petsmart?

stevenjohn21 12-23-2010 03:52 PM

The tank looked empty and when i asked if they were getting any in she said we have loads. The girl lifted the rock decor and out came about 20 !! I guess they are only wanted by experienced aquarists, kids might think of them as monster looking LOL But yeah both pet smarts near where i live have them.

mjbn 12-23-2010 05:25 PM

What state are you in? I guess in california it's not that popular?):

jaysee 12-23-2010 05:35 PM

I think they are regularly available on aquabid.com