Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   8" Jack in trouble (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/8-jack-trouble-58019/)

SirChiefton 12-23-2010 09:38 AM

8" Jack in trouble

Hi all, I have been perusing this site for a while now, what a wealth of information!! I am looking for some guidance. I recently set up a 125 gallon freshwater tank and transfered me 5 year old 7-8" Jack Dempsey in it. Well, he was happy and healthy for a good while but seams to have fallen ill. He stays in one corner of the tank with his face in the corner, fins clamped and not moving at all. He seems to have a white coat starting to form on him. Here are my parameters per the instructions for this forum:

pH Low 7.6 ish
pH High 8.2
Ammonia .25
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 20 ish

It is freshwater, been set up for about a month now, one Jack about 5 years old 7-8" previously in a 29 gallon for the length of his life. Water temp is a constant 77-78 via two 250w heaters. Fluval FX5 canister filter with biomedia only (I think this is where I have messed up). No light normally, no sunlight either. No H2O change yet either. I am about to do a 50% change here when I'm done typing. Feed morning and night, green bag of ciclid staple.

Can someone give me some pointers please?

Thanks,
Loring in South LA

JerseyBird97 12-23-2010 01:37 PM

Is there anything else in the tank? You stated he's got a white film?

Sounds like a fungus. Sould like you should pick up some Primafix by API dose accordingly.

Romad 12-23-2010 01:44 PM

Try shining a light on him with a flashlight and see if the coating is yellowish. And does it look like a dusting? It could be velvet.
Or is it fuzzy ? Fungal infections usually present themselves as fuzzy.

And you def. need more medium in your filter IMO. Sponges to start with for sure.

And why no light?

haemosu 12-24-2010 02:36 AM

Sounds like some fungus to me. Try methylene blue f it is, change the water after 3 days. I would try more frequent changes at lower percent, say 30%.

SirChiefton 12-26-2010 09:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have a light on the tank but when I turn it on he hides, so I leave it off. He spent all of his life in a tank with no light.

I added carbon to the filter and did a water change. Woke up this morning and he seems much better, not 100% but is eating now. Looks like we're on the mend. He at lease isnt sitting on the bottom in a corner. He is up tredding water!!!

Thanks again.

SirChiefton 01-03-2011 09:42 AM

Well, he's not eating anymore. At least he is treading water and not sitting on the bottom. I introduced some live plants about 5 days ago now.

I rechecked my parameters again, ammonia is 0 now and NO3 is down to 10ish.

What next? This fish used to eat and eat and eat. Now, nothing. He looks good physically, looks like he is breathing harder, almost like there is no oxygen in the tank.

Help please!!

bigehugedome 01-03-2011 11:33 AM

Just wondering, what are you using to test your water parameters? Test strips or the drops you put in test tubes?

Also when was your last water change?Unless dosing with a med that requires no water changes, I would do them more often. Clean water always helps, and of course use a good dechlorinator.

Is the 'white film" on him gone?

SirChiefton 01-03-2011 07:02 PM

The white film is gone. I have the drop type test kit. I did a 25% water change this afternoon. I talked to a LFS today and upon us chatting we came conclusion I either have some type of poison or depleted oxygen in the water. I told him that it looks as if the fish is working more than normal to get water through his gills. I think I am not getting enough oxygen in the water with the canister filter. I redirected the nozzles to agitate the waters surface. We shall see what happpens now.