Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   what do the like to eat?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-do-like-eat-580/)

fiona 09-22-2006 03:05 PM

what do the like to eat??

whats the best thing for me to be feeding little dave (my pleco)??

i have bottom feeding fish food but he just looks at that and keepis going. i know they eat a lot of alge but surely they cant just live of that.

is there anything else that i can feed him??

crazie.eddie 09-22-2006 03:12 PM

Do you know exactly why type of pleco it is? If you're unsure, post a pic.

Some plecos are herbivores (vegetation) while most are omnivores (vegetation and animal). My L018 Gold Nugget pleco prefers shrimp pellets, hikari carnivore pellets, and bloodworms (if there's any left over) and will also eat algae discs, zuchini, and skinned peas. My L048 Zebra pleco will only eat blood worms, as far as I can see, and will sometimes eat at shrimp pellets and hikari carnivore pellets and other frozen foods. It never really touches the algae discs.

fiona 09-22-2006 03:13 PM

i dont have any pics of him at the moment but i know he's a common pleco if that helps?

crazie.eddie 09-22-2006 03:20 PM

Commons will usually eat anything and everything. It will graze on the tank for algae, eat left over food on the substrate, or where ever it may find it. It maybe that the fish is full. If the fish is new, then it may just be a little nervous still. Otherwise, if you see pleco feces that are long and stringy (not white), then it's good.

fiona 09-22-2006 03:22 PM

o right so he prob is eating then but not when im looking?!?!?!

he's not shy he is always coming out and he's not bothered when someone gets close to the tank either.

its good to know he is eating though, i do worry!!!

is there anything else that i can maybe put in there for him?

crazie.eddie 09-22-2006 03:26 PM

You can try a piece of zuchini (courgette). Most people blanch it first to soften it up. Then just use an old stainless steel spoon and pierce through the zuchini so that it sinks. Cucumber is similar, but zuchini has more nutrition.

fiona 09-22-2006 03:31 PM

o right. so they eat most things then,
cucumber?
id find that odd putting that int the tank!!!
do they other fish not try and eat it?

crazie.eddie 09-22-2006 03:52 PM

The other fish may try to pick at it, but the pleco would probably eat the most, since it has a large rasping mouth.

fiona 09-22-2006 03:53 PM

but it aint gunna do the other fish no harm will it??

Lupin 09-22-2006 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiona
but it aint gunna do the other fish no harm will it??

There's no harm done if you feed them veggies as long as the veggies are not contaminated with chemicals. Wash them thoroughly before using them.:)