Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Does the Diana Walstad Method Work? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/does-diana-walstad-method-work-57948/)

TheRummy 12-22-2010 01:29 AM

Does the Diana Walstad Method Work?

I'v heard about this method, supposedly you put down a layer of organic potting soil, cover it with sand or medium fine gravel, and have light and it's all you need. It sounds so simple and people say it works great. Have any of you tried it?
I want to grow micro grass, and moss and such, would this method work for that?

1077 12-22-2010 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRummy (Post 540101)
I'v heard about this method, supposedly you put down a layer of organic potting soil, cover it with sand or medium fine gravel, and have light and it's all you need. It sounds so simple and people say it works great. Have any of you tried it?
I want to grow micro grass, and moss and such, would this method work for that?

Yes,this method along with other's will grow plant's. Best in my view to select one method,google info on this method,,and stick with it as described.
Walstad method involves beginning with LOT's of plant's from the outset which is always a good idea.
Natural sunlight,or full spectrum lighting is also needed.Cram the tank with fast growing plant's and resist the urge to up-root plant's or re-arrange plant's until after the tank is four or five months old.
then you can prune,remove plant's if you like and replace them with perhaps other's that interest you and that will fair well with water parameter's and lighting available.
Googling (Walstad method) should produce desired result's.

SinCrisis 12-22-2010 10:43 AM

a member here, redchigh has 2 guides on using this method for setting up an aquarium. You can find the links to the guides in his signature.

Mikaila31 12-22-2010 10:50 AM

Yes it certainly does work. IDK what all the specific rules for the method are. The way it functions can be applied anywhere though. Plants consume wastes. IDK how many times when I have water quality issues I simply add more plants. I recently set up a 15 gallon with soil substrate, lots of plants and only a powerhead for water movement/ no filter. It has been running great. I had cherry shrimp in it within an hour after I filled it and they are still there over a month later.

redchigh 12-29-2010 10:30 AM

It works. 8-)

full spectrum lighting isn't required... Sunlight is good, and if you want to use cool white only, that's fine.
If you can use two bulbs, then use half cool white and half full spectrum. (or cool white + sunlight).

The key is just to have enough light that the plants can do their jobs.

Micrograss and moss are fine, and I have one tank that just has dwarf sag in it. If those are the only plants you ever want to keep, then only use about 1/2 an inch or less of soil. You absolutely MUST have enough plant roots in the soil.... Roots keep it from going anaerobic. If it's a small tank, then a some crypt wendtii or echinodorus blehiri var Compacta would work perfectly with about an inch of soil, and inch of cap over that. (cap is gravel or sand. 2-3 mm size gravel is best.)