Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need Overfeeding Advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-overfeeding-advice-57870/)

shunyata 12-20-2010 11:43 PM

Need Overfeeding Advice

I'm having issues with overfeeding in all my tanks. I keep reading that it is trial & error, but I don't want my error to cause one of my friends to die of starvation. I'm sure there is a psychological component here too; I'm a bit heavyset myself. *hehe*

At twice a day, most (if not all) the visible food is eaten up. Yet I have a mild case of what I think is Planaria. And I do vacuum the gravel with each water change. I have lots of plants, so I still want to make sure they get their food (aka fish poo).

What is a safe minimal feeding? Twice a day is clearly too much. Once a day seems safe (IMO), but is that still too much? Dare I go as low as every other day? How can you even tell if a fish, snail or frog is 'starving'?

Here are my 2 freshwater tanks:

15g - 15 gallon Freshwater fish tank
10g - 10 gallon Freshwater fish tank

Backer 12-20-2010 11:49 PM

Hey :)

I can say I have always been told whatever your fish can eat up in 3 minutes. Otherwise it's too much. My fish do fine on one a day, sometimes two, some of them are little chubby but I do that to keep aggression down. (I find it helps) Hopefully this helps. Good luck.

aunt kymmie 12-20-2010 11:53 PM

Healthy fish ALWAYS act as if they are starving but the reality is they can go weeks without eating. I feed twice a day, the amount is just a bit over what they can consume in two minutes. At least once a week they go 24 hours without food, and some days they will go with one feeding a day.
When I go on vacation they do not get fed. I do not trust ANYONE to feed my discus. :lol:
They go a week with out a feeding, no problem, but they are adults, not juvies.

sik80 12-21-2010 06:06 AM

I feed once per day and then usually have one day with no feeding per week. You'd be amazed how little fish need to be healthy. I have 44 smallish fish in my tank and normally feed them 2-3 sinking pellets and a small pinch of flake or mico-pellets once a day. I'd show you a picture but can't find my usb cable... Around twice a week they get either frozen bloodworms or chopped earthworm.

By the way, that angel will not be happy in a 10g tank. They are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of 5 or more in at least a 55g tank.

SinCrisis 12-21-2010 08:37 AM

the food you feed your fish is not the only food it eats. Fish will consume other tank critters like planeria if they are really hungry. I feed my fish once a day, just a pinch. I was once told this rule ( no idea if this this accurate) that a fish's stomache is around the same size as its eye. If your wondering how much to feed do not portion more than a eyeball of food for each fish.

shunyata 12-21-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sik80 (Post 539414)
By the way, that angel will not be happy in a 10g tank. They are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of 5 or more in at least a 55g tank.

Unfortunately as an apartment dweller, a 55gal tank is off limits. Though I'm aware I'll eventually I have to find him a better home.

Christople 12-21-2010 06:03 PM

the way to tell if a fish is starving is if the bellie is depressed and is awkward. I feed my fish 1 time a day and twice every other day... I feed them flake and bbs and blood worms. If you do feed them live or frozen food besure to remove the left overs unless there are a fair amout of bottom feeders

shunyata 12-22-2010 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone! I've adjusted my feedings to once a day (and less than an eyeball's/2-min's worth) for now and will make an effort to skip a day each week.

Can anyone tell me what signs to look for that my African Dwarf Frog is not getting enough food? He's the one I worry about most since he's a slow eater.

jaysee 12-22-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shunyata (Post 540568)
Can anyone tell me what signs to look for that my African Dwarf Frog is not getting enough food? He's the one I worry about most since he's a slow eater.

It can be difficult to keep ADFs in a community sometimes because they are not the best at finding and eating their food. Also, it can be hard to prevent other fish from eating the frog food.

I would say that if it's losing weight, then it's not getting enough to eat.

nomel 12-24-2010 08:55 PM

Two minutes!? I tried that once with my silver dollars when they were about 4 inches long. They ate 12 pellets each (like these)...extreme overfeeding. So, I wouldn't use two minutes as a set rule.