Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   30 gallon community (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/30-gallon-community-57862/)

otgarza 12-20-2010 08:19 PM

30 gallon community

I'm planning to get a community tank started again and I will be setting it up tomorrow for cycling. I wanted to know what you guys thought about my options for stocking.

I was thinking about putting 5 sunburst platies, 5 painted platies, 5 bloodfin tetras, 5 silver tip tetras, and if there is room I want to add a trio of gouramis either blue or gold. I would also like to know if it would be safe to add a pleco? And if so which ones? Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

small fry 12-21-2010 09:16 AM

Tetra should be kept in groups of no less than 6. This tank sounds like it should be a planted tank, as tetras and gourami love planted tanks, and a low-tech system isn't that hard to setup. The setup might be abit overstocked. I wouldn't put so many platies in there. Platies+Platies=over 30 new fry per female, per month. That tank would fill up fast! With gouramis, trios are best with 1m/2f.

small fry 12-21-2010 10:00 AM

Forgot to add...NO COMMON PLECO!!! Research plecos and find a small species that you like. Don't get the common pleco as they will outgrow a 65g.

otgarza 12-22-2010 11:37 PM

Thanks....how does a rubber lip pleco sound. Or a clown pleco? Those are the two I was looking at. And ill add 6 of each type of tetra....should I lower the number of platies to a trio or a group of four? And would it be safe to have a trio of blue and gold gouramis, or just one trio?
Posted via Mobile Device

small fry 12-22-2010 11:51 PM

Play with this tool until you figure something out. It won't tell you everything, but we can help you once AqAdvisor like the setup; AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor .

Hope this helps!

tanker 12-23-2010 12:52 AM

I don't know about the plecos or gourami, but I'd certainly reduce the number of platies to 3. I had 5 in my 75-litre (about 20 gallons) and the scale of them after they'd grown (mainly the females, they get very big) made me upgrade to a 165-litre (about 45 gallons, I think). I've got 6 in there (+ 2 tiny babies, just arrived!) and I can't imagine having that many in a tank smaller than mine. I think 3 would be a good number, judging on how mine look and taking into account that your tank is a bit smaller. You'd still need to consider whether the other fish will have enough room before you make your final decision, but just on platies, I'd go with 3.

otgarza 12-26-2010 10:26 PM

At the moment I have added 5 bloodfins to the tank and I have an albino bristlenose pleco along with them. I will update you guys in the upcoming weeks as I add more fish. I've decided to add the silvertips and a trio of two types of platies and a trio of swordtails at the end if space permits.
Posted via Mobile Device