Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (
-   -   What would you use to do this (

fish_4_all 05-11-2007 05:23 PM

What would you use to do this

I have some one the way, Bacopa australis and I want to grow it emersed. Submerged is going to be easy enough but what would one use over the tank to help the stems and leaves stay out of the water so they can flower and get a real good emersed growth?

herefishy 05-11-2007 05:45 PM

One could try an open mesh type plastic, similar to what they use for the craft of rug looping. Some meshes are as large as 3/4", but you would have to pull the plant gently through the mesh. Fastening the mesh could be solved by using a cork material glued to the mesh to keep it from sinking.

Daz 05-11-2007 05:45 PM

Would egg crate not work?

herefishy 05-11-2007 06:27 PM

An "egg crate" type of light diffusrre is kind of what I am talking about.

fish_4_all 05-15-2007 02:30 PM

I think the egg carte is a good idea. I can fit it to the tank exactly wher eI want it to be and then let the plant grow through it for a natural transition to emersed growth.

The canvas is a good idea but I want something rigid and stays above the waterline. I could silicone it to the top of the tank to get the same effect but I would also want to be able to remove it. But depending on the application and what you want to do with what plant it could work really well. Might even be a good idea for floating Riccia and giving it some rigidity to keep it in shape and maybe even sculpt it.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome