Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   new aquascape (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/new-aquascape-57759/)

SinCrisis 12-19-2010 05:15 PM

new aquascape

4 Attachment(s)
So this past weekend gave me the time to overhaul the decor in my tank

Attachment 20946
Switching out the gravel, mixed in lots of soil with the reduce amount of flourite to create the base substrate

Attachment 20947
Put down a layer of sand in front. Most of the hardscape is complete now except for the gravel in the back

Attachment 20948
Added most of the plants.

Attachment 20949
Filled, still need to add some more dwarf swords in front of the rocks on the left to soften it up.

Hopefully it will look a lot more full after the plants start growing in. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what types of plants i should add to the right side? I was thinking some val in the corner so the top of the plant sticks out above the wood and a few smaller low plants in front of the entrance to the "cave."

Anyone have any suggestions for additional plants for the tank in general?

Please give me some feedback as to what can be done better

aunt kymmie 12-19-2010 05:29 PM

If it was me I'd do a new background. I think a black one would look much better than the blue one that is currently on the tank, but that's just me. All in all, good job! Looking forward to seeing this fill in.

SinCrisis 12-20-2010 09:17 AM

ohh good idea, i will see if i can find black gift-wrapping paper. The blue was from the previous set-up and there was a dimmer light back then so the blue came off as a reflective dark blue instead of sky-blue.

Ostara 12-20-2010 08:28 PM

Looking good! I really like the dark substrate, it makes the plants pop. I agree on the black background... I think it'll really bring everything together.

SinCrisis 02-06-2011 02:16 PM

OK FINALLY, after a month, got a black background. Its adhered to the back of the tank, took me over an hour to get it to stick right. Theres some minor bubbles but you cant really see them unless you look for em. I will try to post pics later tonight after the superbowl since theres too much glare during the day to get a good pic.

SinCrisis 02-06-2011 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, so what do yall think? Attachment 23375

I think the black was a really good suggestion. However, the improved contrast draws a lot of attention to the middle area thats empty, does anyone have plant suggestions that i could put there?

1077 02-06-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 582861)

I think the black was a really good suggestion. However, the improved contrast draws a lot of attention to the middle area thats empty, does anyone have plant suggestions that i could put there?

I might attach some anubia to the wood. The broad leaves of this plant would help fill in the middle.

leogtr 02-07-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 582861)

nice nice!!:thumbsup:

Grimmjow 02-07-2011 06:13 AM

Looks tons better with the black background

willow 02-07-2011 06:19 AM

it's really lovely. and #1 about the anubia.