Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Black Moors, Shubunkins, Fantails, Ryukins etc.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/black-moors-shubunkins-fantails-ryukins-etc-57674/)

ThePearlFish 12-18-2010 04:26 PM

Black Moors, Shubunkins, Fantails, Ryukins etc..

I have a few questions about most of the fancy species of goldfish. (not comets or commons that can get way too big for me to handle),

How many of them can I fit comfortably in a 40g Breeder tank? I am not planning on setting up this tank anytime soon, but a few years from now I will have a free 40g breeder. I am interested in setting up a goldfish tank.

I DEFINITELY want 2-3 black moors, but would like at least one other variety of fancy goldfish.

Would this be possible and what other fish can be kept with a cold water species of fish like the goldfish?

I am aware overstocking can be detrimental especially where goldfish are involved. Even though I am not planning on setting this tank up anytime soon I love researching about these things :)

Also what type of filters would be the best for Goldfish? Power? Under Gravel?

Anyways, thanks for the responses ahead of time :)

james7139 12-18-2010 04:50 PM

i think the max would be like 4-6 gold fish

best filter would be a canister and weekly 50-60 percent water changes

amberjade 12-18-2010 05:21 PM

3 goldfish - even fancies get BIG. If you are experienced and can keep on top of the water quality (testing every week, wc twice a week) then you could possibly get away with 4. But that would be the absolute limit. They really are dirty fish, and even with over filtration, they will mess the water.

I keep fantails and a telescope eye in a huge tub pond - beautiful fish! They are around 7 inches long, not including tail. They haven't finished growing, either. These guys can live for 20-40 years, and they grow all their life. Yet another reason they need a lot of space and water volume per fish. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Redknee 12-18-2010 05:24 PM

10G is the minimum for a black moor but id say 15G to make him happy.
As for filtration... if you can, use something that can drain a lake/hour, they poop like there's no tomorrow.
A canister filter that can pump about 150G/hour should do.
As for gravel use something that's not to big as you dont want all that poop to stay in the gravel. 2-3mm would be ok IMO.

ThePearlFish 12-18-2010 05:43 PM

So, if I was to put 2 blacks and 2 other types of goldfish I could POSSIBLY get away with it if I had an extremely strong filter (canister) and FREQUENT h2o changes.

So if I had two black moors (for some reason I am loving them :P) what NON-goldfish fish could I house with them?

james7139 12-18-2010 05:49 PM

carp.........

ThePearlFish 12-18-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james7139 (Post 537494)
carp.........

do you mind elaborating? I am confused, I was under the impression that goldfish and carp were related in a close way.

Maybe I should be more clear :lol: what type of non-goldfish type species can I keep in a group (like a school of some sort) with black moors?

obviously they should be pretty low key and submissive. I am not experienced with TOO many species of fish.

james7139 12-18-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePearlFish (Post 537588)
do you mind elaborating? I am confused, I was under the impression that goldfish and carp were related in a close way.

Maybe I should be more clear :lol: what type of non-goldfish type species can I keep in a group (like a school of some sort) with black moors?

obviously they should be pretty low key and submissive. I am not experienced with TOO many species of fish.

ha.i was implying that goldfish are the only thing i know of that can be with....goldfish

amberjade 12-18-2010 10:30 PM

Def NOT carp! Yikes. :)

I've kept my fancies with white clouds - no issues. White clouds are really pretty, too. Maybe a shoal of 10 - again, just keep up with water changes. Live plants are always good, too. Swords and val seem to be safe as far as fish eating them. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

james7139 12-18-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberjade (Post 537686)
Def NOT carp! Yikes. :)

I've kept my fancies with white clouds - no issues. White clouds are really pretty, too. Maybe a shoal of 10 - again, just keep up with water changes. Live plants are always good, too. Swords and val seem to be safe as far as fish eating them. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

goldfish are colorful carp...