Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   New Saltwater Keeper (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/new-saltwater-keeper-57654/)

NickC5FE 12-18-2010 02:35 AM

New Saltwater Keeper

2 Attachment(s)
Hello, i am new here and new to saltwater keeping! Really excited about it. I was introduced by a friend who offered me a AGA Bow front corner tank (54G) that he had set up as a reef tank before. The price was great (free). I cleaned it up and stained the stand to match my living room furniture. He also gave me a Euro Reef CS6-2 skimmer, custom cad-designed sump and mag 9.5 pump.
I set it all up with his help and got the water in. Once i had the salt levels right and the temp right, another friend gave me 65 lbs of cured live rock he couldnt use. As for sand, i went with 50 lbs of synthetic and 10 lbs of live on top. The tank has been cycling for two weeks now, and i have been flying for work so i havent been able to check the #s yet, but hopefully will be home in the next day or two.
When i get home , i am going to go to a LFS and get some more live rock, maybe 30 lbs more, to finish the scape. Really anxious about getting it full going! This will be my "starter" tank, i am already excited about my next tank (maybe 180 or 220).. that is a long way off though ;-)
Anyways, glad to be here and see the support and knowledge this forum has to offer! Nick

Mattcot 12-18-2010 05:56 AM

that looks like a really good start to me, and a neat custom sump.

NickC5FE 12-18-2010 07:52 AM

Thanks Matt! I will post more pictures as i add stuff... Looking at getting two clowns when i get home, and putting them in QT for 2 weeks......

MrBishop 12-18-2010 09:38 AM

looks good mate, make sure to keep us updated on your progress :lol:

NickC5FE 12-18-2010 10:09 AM

Thanks MrBishop....

Besides the clowns i am trying to plan out the other fish i will get. I have a few that i really like the look of but i really want a tang. Now, i know that they need 75 g plus (for a yellow) but i am thinking bcause of the odd shape of this tank that it may be ok for his swimming patterns, at least for now.. What do you think?

I am already in the market for a much larger tank, and am hoping within a year i will be setting it up. If that falls through, i can always trade the tang in at the LFS right?? Just really have always been a fan of the tangs (all of them). I first saw them on my first mission i flew through Hawaii 5 years ago....

MrBishop 12-18-2010 10:11 AM

yeah maybe try a small tang like a, Mimic yellow tang? i just brought 1 of them today for my 120ltr, looks great:-D

NickC5FE 12-18-2010 10:17 AM

cool, thanks....will look it up!

Pasfur 12-18-2010 06:58 PM

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum. I have the exact same tank as you. Thats a great skimmer and sump design you have there. I'm sure you'll have great success with this system.

You are dealing with the same desire i've had for the last 3 years, which is to add a Tang to the tank. I have personally not done so because I know it is a bad idea. The reputation Tangs have as aggressive fish stems from them being placed in tanks that are too small, and a 54 just doesn't cut it, even with the unique shape of our systems.

If you decide to proceed with a Tang purchase anyhow, I would suggest a Ctenochaetus genus. These are the only Tangs that would really make any sense at all in this tank size. (Sorry Mr. B, I have to disagree on the Mimic Tang suggestion). The best of the Ctenochaetus species would be a Kohl Tang, aka Yellow Eye Tang. They stay relatively small, around 5'' in size, and are rather passive for a Tang. The 2nd best choice would be a Tomini Tang, in my opinion. Just keep in mind that adding any Tang to a tank of this size is going to make it difficult to add other "open water" swimming fish. Tankmates would need to be limited to rock dwelling species, such as Gramma, Pseudochromis, Baslets, Gobies, etc.

NickC5FE 12-18-2010 09:42 PM

thanks so much for the awesome info Pasfur! We will see how things pan out after i get home! Will have plenty of pics as i go along.....Nick

NickC5FE 12-18-2010 09:56 PM

Wow! I went and checked your 58 build thread and i love the rock placement! That is what i am really looking forward to, being able to get home and buy more rock!

This rock i got from my friend was fully cured, should i buy dry rock or more "wet" rock???