Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Algone questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/algone-questions-5765/)

miagrrl 05-10-2007 06:54 PM

Algone questions

I ordered algone (thanks to some helpful people who responded to a previous post of mine), and I was going to put it in a really lcoudy 10 gallon tank of mine. My question was, I also have a 30 gallon tank- that so far has no issues, no cloudiness, excellent water condition- can I put algone in there as a part of regular maintenance to ensure it stays that way? or is it an emergency only type of deal??

Daz 05-11-2007 02:27 AM

If it's not broken, why try and fix it ? :wink:

MattD 05-11-2007 11:50 AM

Thing is, with Algone, you need to remove your carbon inserts for the duration you're using Algone - unnecessary modifications unless a reason to use it is present. I had Algone in for two weeks, it cleared my bloom in a couple days, but I left it in for a while longer to ensure it didn't show up anytime soon.

I'd say using them for your 29 gal is a waste. Algone is expensive, so only use it when you absolutely must.

Andyandsue 05-12-2007 04:53 PM

I've been told that once you use Algone you will always want to use it... I use it to keep my tank "picture perfect". I recently had an ever-so-slight greenish tint to my tank and I knew it was time to change my algone. sure enough 2 days later it was gone. The question was did the old packet the actual cause of the algae or the just reason the tank couldn't clear it?

I think it can also be used only as needed if that is what you are interested in doing.

The package does recommend removing carbon, but it also says it isn't necessary. I have it in my smaller tank with carbon and my larger without since that is the one I have more trouble with and I use a phosphate lowering media anyway.

cfl777 05-15-2007 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattD
Thing is, with Algone, you need to remove your carbon inserts for the duration you're using Algone - unnecessary modifications unless a reason to use it is present. I had Algone in for two weeks, it cleared my bloom in a couple days, but I left it in for a while longer to ensure it didn't show up anytime soon.

I'd say using them for your 29 gal is a waste. Algone is expensive, so only use it when you absolutely must.

This is actually not true....If you use algone you can use your carbon just as you always do. There is no interaction problems with algone and carbon. But I would leave algone in all the time, cause I would rather do preventative than disaster recovery...Know what I mean?

Relatively speaking for PM type usage algone is not that expensive as you are only changing it every couple weeks (up to 4 weeks) at a time