Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Finishing my 30 gallon. Gourami? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/finishing-my-30-gallon-gourami-57640/)

bigehugedome 12-17-2010 10:46 PM

Finishing my 30 gallon. Gourami?

Hello. It has been a while since I have posted. I come seeking your knowledge once again.

I have a 30 gallon tank with:
7 hengel rasbora
6 black neon tetra
5 zebra loaches
3 corys
1 brittle nose pleco

All has been well in my tank (except for my filter hoses leaking last week!!) but I wanted to add something else if possible. I was wondering if adding a gourami would be possible. And if so what species. If not what else is possible. I kinda want a showpiece fish rather then another small group.

Some more info on the tank: Penn plax cascade 700. 79degrees. Ph 7. All other readings normal. 30-40% weekly water changes.

eatmysox 12-18-2010 12:00 AM

Well it sounds like you have a happening tank. My suggestion would be to get a M/F pair of dwarf gouramis ( I found Females very hard to find I just recently did after about 6 months of looking) Another suggestion is opaline, pearl or honey. Do you have a well planted tank? you could also go with some dwarf cichlids if you wanted a centerpiece. I love my rams but apistos are also beautiful fish as well as kribensis. All of them are lovely. My first real fish were my dwarf gouramis and a german blue ram. The gourami is still alive :D

spike0544 12-18-2010 10:08 AM

I would add 2 more cory cats and maybe a pearl gourami.

bigehugedome 12-19-2010 03:00 PM

I guess my tank is like a medium planted, but I do have pennywort and dawrf lilly that would provide shade for the gourami. The profiles kinda confused me, can I keep 2 in a 30gallon? And if so do they have to me both males or m/f. I also dont want them to mate because I dont wanna deal with fry or an angry male

bigehugedome 12-19-2010 08:33 PM

Well after research and the profiles (and your advice of course) I will be looking for either pearls or honeys. I would perfer pearls since they are larger, and would consider a m/f pair only if i am positive I have a female. (not even sure if my lfs has pearls, but i dont usually look at the gouramis) so I will have to see what is avaible.

If I can only find males will 1 be happy? I am considering one and then adding a few more tetra and rasbora since the more the merrier. I donno if i should add more corys since the loaches are kinda crazy lol.

bigehugedome 01-16-2011 12:03 AM

Hey guys, its been a while but I just wanted to let you know I got a Pearl and he is awesome! Great way to finish my tank. I think my next tank (wont be a while) Ill get Rams