Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Guppies or Mollies?! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppies-mollies-57584/)

JD3P 12-16-2010 11:39 PM

Guppies or Mollies?!

My tank consists of:
10 g, heated, filtered, live plants, sand
1 betta, 1 mystery snail

I would really like to get another fish or two to put in my tank. I have live plants and am adding on as much as I can. The point of this is cleaner water, more hiding spots. So that's why I'm considering getting some mollies or guppies. I would definitely get ones that aren't fancy tail because I don't want a massacre in my tank. I'm also considering a pleco, not that it would interfere I don't think. Does anyone have any experience with placing these with male bettas? Or any other suggestions for some small fish that would be compatible? Thanks.

1077 12-17-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD3P (Post 536451)
My tank consists of:
10 g, heated, filtered, live plants, sand
1 betta, 1 mystery snail

I would really like to get another fish or two to put in my tank. I have live plants and am adding on as much as I can. The point of this is cleaner water, more hiding spots. So that's why I'm considering getting some mollies or guppies. I would definitely get ones that aren't fancy tail because I don't want a massacre in my tank. I'm also considering a pleco, not that it would interfere I don't think. Does anyone have any experience with placing these with male bettas? Or any other suggestions for some small fish that would be compatible? Thanks.

How long has the ten gallon been running with fish? What is the pH?
Mollies and guppies prefer hard alkaline water with pH between 7.4 and 8.0 and both of these species might find the long flowing fins of your betta an easy target (nipping).
Mollies need minimum of 20 gallons and males would not get along well in smaller tank, and females are almost inherently pregnant when purchased. This could lead to population explosion which could make maintaining water quality more difficult.
Were it me,, I might consider five or six glowlight tetra's, They stay small and are too quick for the betta ,and would not be as likely to begin nipping the fins of your betta.
Do be aware that the betta may not tolerate guest's in his enviornment and many are often best kept alonefor this reason.
Even the smallest Pleco would be unsuitable for a ten gallon tank with possible exception of LDA25 Pit bull pleco which fairs best in pH range of 6.8 to maybe 7.4. IMHO
Plecos produce considerable waste, and small tanks do not have dilution capabilities between water changes to accomodate these fish.
Otocinclus might work but only if the tank is well established with considerable algae ,which is this fishes primary food. These are sensitive fishes with respect to water quality and many of them are starving or sick when purchased.
Hope some of this helps.

tanker 12-17-2010 01:34 AM

From my experience I don't consider anything compatible with a male betta. I put some dwarf cories in with one of my bettas thinking that I'd take them out if there was trouble, but I never got the chance. A couple of cories died overnight and then my betta also got sick and died. I'd never risk it again. My bettas stay by themselves (with an apple snail, they don't seem to mind each other).

If you do want to try something, I've read that you can try cories. Because they hang out on the bottom they may not cause the betta as much stress. I'd say definitely not mollies or guppies - I think a betta would definitely attack them. The guppies' tails might look just like male bettas' to a betta....

JD3P 12-17-2010 01:45 AM

Thanks for the information. I unfortunately don't know what my tanks ph is =/ I'm not going to get a pleco or guppies/ mollies. Idk if I wanna risk putting a cory in the tank after hearing that your betta killed some of them. So I think I might stick with the neon tetras and black neon tetras. Maybe like three of each. If my betta doesn't do well with them I"ll remove them and put them in my other tank upstairs. Would anyone happen to know if malaysian trumpet snails produce a lot of waste like plecos? I'm thinking they would be a better idea since they are small and stay buried in the sand.

Ostara 12-17-2010 02:33 AM

I would definitely stick to tetras and such if he's already established in the tank. I've kept male bettas with just about everything, including guppies with enormous, colorful tails, but the bettas were always added to the tank afterwards so it wasn't "their" territory. Most of the people I've seen that have had problems have tried to add the fish once the betta has claimed the tank already.

1077 12-17-2010 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD3P (Post 536528)
Thanks for the information. I unfortunately don't know what my tanks ph is =/ I'm not going to get a pleco or guppies/ mollies. Idk if I wanna risk putting a cory in the tank after hearing that your betta killed some of them. So I think I might stick with the neon tetras and black neon tetras. Maybe like three of each. If my betta doesn't do well with them I"ll remove them and put them in my other tank upstairs. Would anyone happen to know if malaysian trumpet snails produce a lot of waste like plecos? I'm thinking they would be a better idea since they are small and stay buried in the sand.

Trumpet snails would be excellent choice for bottom duty along with the shrimps.
As for the tetra's, A group of five or six of one species would work better than three of a couple different species. Tetra's are social fishes that do best in groups of five or more of same species or two or more groups of five or more. They develop a pecking order and with only three of one species,,there is likely to be one that is dominant and the other's would be submissive. Not very appealing in my view to see one or two dominant fish and one in hiding .

buckmanrules 12-19-2010 03:38 PM

A pleco should do great! A 2 inch pleco should be able to handle itself just fine.