Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   errrrrr liverock!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/errrrrr-liverock-5757/)

sean117Ply 05-10-2007 06:54 AM

errrrrr liverock!!!

Is it absolutely crucial that you have live rock??? I ask this because it is TOO expensive!!! here in Australia it is 15 dollars a Kilo. For everyone that uses pounds its roughly 2.2lbs

Robnjo 05-10-2007 07:06 AM

Hi mate, @ $15 a kg up here on the Gold Coast, not sure how much it is down there but you could buy a kg here and there till you have the amount you need and it wont break the bank.
Rob.

usmc121581 05-10-2007 09:20 AM

Re: errrrrr liverock!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean117Ply
Is it absolutely crucial that you have live rock??? I ask this because it is TOO expensive!!! here in Australia it is 15 dollars a Kilo. For everyone that uses pounds its roughly 2.2lbs

So thats $15/2.2lbs. That is a good price for that. It can cost here in the USA at LFS anywhere between $7-10/Lb

anemone 05-10-2007 01:45 PM

Live rock is expensive, but when you look at what you will be spending overhaul to setup & maintain your tank you will realise it's not that expensive after all!

caferacermike 05-10-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmc121581
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean117Ply

So thats $15/2.2lbs. That is a good price for that. It can cost here in the USA at LFS anywhere between $7-10/Lb

Ah the classic, "everyone is American" method. You forgot to do an exchange rate as well. Currently it runs, 1.0000 Australian Dollar = 0.8278 U.S. Dollar, or about a $1.18 to one Aus dollar.

It's still cheaper though. Keep in mind that Oz has tremendous importation laws to protect the environment. Don't even fool yourself into thinking you will buy a pleco for your freshwater tank.

In short you don't necessarily need live rock but it can really help. With enough maintenance a canister filter can keep a fish only clean but will require more maintenance than with live rock as you won't have some of the same benefits.

Robnjo 05-10-2007 07:02 PM

sorry sean117Ply, I didn't see the price you wrote, my bad.

sean117Ply 05-10-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caferacermike
Ah the classic, "everyone is American" method. You forgot to do an exchange rate as well.

yeah i do know about the exchange rate, but was unawear of what are dollar is worth over there.

The fish are cheeper than live rock in fact some african cichlids are more expensive then saltwater fish, well here in melbourne anyway.