Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Planning my Planted, Tetra Paradise (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/planning-my-planted-tetra-paradise-57537/)

Tamara 12-16-2010 03:04 PM

Planning my Planted, Tetra Paradise

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and I'm looking for help designing a planted, Tetra Paradise. Here's my Tetra Stock List:

1.5" Neon - 50
2.5" Diamond - 10
4/5" Ember - 20
1.5" Red Phantom - 12
1.5" Flame - 10
2" Roberts - 15
1.5" Rosy - 10
1.75" Pristella - 10
2" Pretty - 10

1) How many Neons will it take to truly make them the "Center Piece"?

2) What size tank do I need, what do you think about a 100 gallon?

3) How much Filtration?

4) Is it difficult to make sure everyone eats in a tank this size?

5) Where can I purchase quality fish?

Also, can you share your large tank experiences with Tetras?

small fry 12-17-2010 08:03 AM

I haven't done any calculating yet, but this setup will probably take at least 100g. You appear to be a new member, are you away of the nitrogen cycle, stocking levels, water changes, and so on? We can help you out with that.

A planted amazon tank is probably going to take awhile to plan out. In the meantime, you can play with this great tool called AqAdvisor;
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Some of the species you mentioned are "common names" and AqAdvisor knows alot of them but not all of them. On fish like "Roberts Tetra" and "Pretty Tetra" you have to learn the latin name. Some tetras are the same species under 2 names (none of the ones you mentioned as far as I know) such as the Black Skirt/Widow Tetra.

Just keep in mind that none of this setup will be cheap! There are several fish experts on here that can help you.:-D

Good luck with the setup!

(edit: don't forget the Quarantine tank! It is essential that you isolate new fish in QT for about 2 weeks after you buy them. It takes 1 sick fish to wipe out a 100 fish community!)

Tamara 12-17-2010 10:58 AM

Hello Small Fry, thanks for responding. I'm mostly seeking input on stocking requirements. I'd like to know how much gallonage I really need to support this system, and can I use standard filtration, i.e., a 100 gallon filter for a 100 gallon tank.

I'd also like to know a little more about "showing" tetras.

I have experience keeping goldfish so I have a pretty sound understanding of maintaining proper water parameters. I'm new to tropicals though.

Tamara 12-18-2010 11:09 AM

Hi,

I'm on AquaAdvisor but how do I get it to calculate, what button do I press. It's a great calculator but I can't figure out how to get it to work!

Oh, ok, AquaAdvisor recommends 112.2 gallons. Cool, now I've got to look for a wet/ dry filter that will serve that capacity.

Do we have to go extra on the filtration for Tetras?

Byron 12-18-2010 11:53 AM

Hi Tamara and welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

A few general comments on "Tetra" setups. I have maintained Amazonian tanks full of characins for 20 years. You can check out the photos of my Amazonian Riverscape 115g and flooded Amazon forest 90g by clicking "Aquariums" under my name on the left.

Presumably this tank will be fairly heavily planted. I would therefore suggest a canister filter rated to the tank size. Nothing more is required.

Most of the commonly-available tetra are in our fish profiles under characins; click on the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top to go there. Lots of info on species.

One issue not mentioned is water parameters. Some of these fish will be wild caught are thus more fussy in having soft slightly acidic water, while others are now tank raised and somewhat adjusted to slightly basic water. Knowing your tap water hardness and pH will be useful in deciding on species.

Byron.

Tamara 12-18-2010 01:01 PM

Hello Byron, thanks for responding. Your tanks are lovely! Yes I plan to plant the entire tank . . . Amano inspired, let's see how close I can get to anything remotely Amano:lol:

With your 115, did you have to make any special preparations in the floor to handle the weight, or any special positioning? I am renting and won't be able to make any significant alterations.

Also, do you know where I can aquire high quality fish?

Byron 12-18-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamara (Post 537288)
Hello Byron, thanks for responding. Your tanks are lovely! Yes I plan to plant the entire tank . . . Amano inspired, let's see how close I can get to anything remotely Amano:lol:

With your 115, did you have to make any special preparations in the floor to handle the weight, or any special positioning? I am renting and won't be able to make any significant alterations.

Also, do you know where I can aquire high quality fish?

Thanks for the compliment. My tanks are low-tech natural setups (as opposed to Amano's very high-tech), and the method I use is set out in the series "A Basic Approach to the Natural Planted Aquarium" at the top of the Aquarium Plants section of the forum.

My house is a rancher on a concrete pad, so I have no worries over my 6 tanks in the fish room. A 100g aquarium weighs a lot, and if the building is frame, be careful. Placing the tank lengthwise across the floor joists as opposed to parallel with them helps; but I would get some advice from members who know a bit more about big tanks in wood frame houses if that is what you're in.

I'll leave it for members in Texas to comment on good fish stores for fish.

Byron.

small fry 12-19-2010 09:55 PM

I am from East Texas. I don't have any stores localy that I would travel more than an hour or 2 for. I live about an hour north of Houston. If you were in this part of Texas I could fill you in on the fish stores I use. Nothing Perfect, though.:roll:

Tamara 12-20-2010 05:22 PM

Thanks Byron and small fry,

I will need more advice on heavy tanks, I'm renting and I'm thinking that I might have to scale down my vision because of the weight, all advice on placing large tanks are appreciated.

small fry 12-20-2010 06:09 PM

Keep in mind that every gallon of water in the tank is approximately 9 pounds. That would put a 110g tank at about 1000 pounds. That weighs about as much as a Kia Rio. Be cautious in what you use to support it.

A smaller tank might be your best option. I like smaller.:-)