Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Two questions: one about tetras, one about glass catfish. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/two-questions-one-about-tetras-one-5745/)

Lt.Dan 05-09-2007 06:44 PM

Two questions: one about tetras, one about glass catfish.

Alright first question i have three black skirt tetras, no idea what sex they are. One is very large in the under belly and sides, it has a large bulge under its stomach that has no color or patern to it, like the rest of its body. It has a definite bulge on both of its sides. Is it prgnant or just very obese?

Question Two: I know glass catfish dont breed in captivity, but i want to know if any one knows why they dont. if it is because of some missing water chemical, to cramped of space, or somethin like that or if they just dont and no one knows why.

fish_4_all 05-09-2007 07:38 PM

Glass catfish will breed in captivity it just takes some really hard work. You have to match their needs perfectly and then have to make sure that there is nothng that will eat the fry in the tank. I have heard of people breeding them and once had a website about it. I will try to find it again if i can.

As for tetras, they are about as hard if not harder to breed than glass cats. From what i have read and heard anyway.

Lt.Dan 05-09-2007 07:45 PM

well thanks, although i was pretty sure glass cats were impossible to breed, but i guess not. what, other than guppys, mollies, and swordtails, are easy to breed?

Falina 05-09-2007 07:52 PM

Platties.

I have heard zebra danios are easy to breed. I have also had great sucess with cories.

Convicts and many other cichlids are easy to breed - but not so easy to keep in terms of tankmates. Cons are very agressive, and most other cics will be agressive when spawning.

herefishy 05-11-2007 05:49 PM

I have never heard of glass cats being bred in captivity. I have checked through most of my literature from FAMA's BAP (breeders' award program) and couldn't find anything. My guess is that it requires very unique and demanding conditions that are very hard to replicate.

fish_4_all 05-11-2007 08:17 PM

The ones I have heard of being bred were done kinda like cories but a lot more watrer changes and water paramemters that have to be pristine. I do know of a couple instances, my wife being one, where they just bred, no explanation why. I think it would be similar to the other fish that are "supposed" to be impossible to breed but just take a little effort to duplicate what they need. A sole diet of live food is supposed to work and water changes 2-3 degrees cooler than the tank done 10-15 times a week is supposed to help.

Honestly I would just be glad to be able to keep them alive.

If you want egg layers, killifish, cories, danios
Live bearers: my fav is swordtails just because of how easy they are and their color variations; platties, mollies, guppies are all pretty easy to breed. Jst watch out because platties and swords will interbreed and so will mollies and guppies. If you have this happen you might not want to sell them, if you planned on it anyway.

Lupin 05-11-2007 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt.Dan
what, other than guppys, mollies, and swordtails, are easy to breed?

Kribs, tiger barbs, rosy barbs, danios and rainbowfish.

Female black skirts are usually plumper compared to males. It could only be full of food. There's not much expectation for tetras to breed.

Tetras do not get pregnant. They used external fertilization, not internal. The term 'gravid' is much more preferable for fish that use internal fertilization than 'pregnant'. Pregnant is simply derived from mammalian term.