Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Moby Dick 25L tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/moby-dick-25l-tank-57415/)

Tomsk 12-14-2010 03:10 PM

Moby Dick 25L tank

Greetings all,
I just picked up my latest tank (number 4 :-)),its a Moby Dick 25L tank.I got it second hand off E-bay for a grand price of 6.49.
The pump & light work (I havent checked the heater).Does anyone have one of these tanks and can offer any advice on them?.
I'll set it up after christmas,its going to be another Betta & shrimp tank.

Tomsk

Tomsk 12-19-2010 04:14 PM

looks like its not a popular tank then :P

The only draw back I can see is that the light/filter/heater is all off one lead so the light has to be switched on manually or everything has to be on the same timer plug.This will be a problem as I want it to be a planted tank and I dont want the heater & filter only to be on 10 hours a day.
Looks like its time to buy some chocolate biscuits and talk to the bloke at work who is a dab hand at electronics :-).

Tomsk

Tomsk 12-30-2010 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was easy enough so I did it myself.The light,filter and heater all run off the same mains lead (coming off a terminal block),so I removed the the leads for the light off the terminal block and attatched them to a new (second) mains lead.Problem solved.
Tomsk

Tomsk 01-09-2011 03:33 PM

quick up-date,I want it to have a plant "carpet" along most of the substrate so the original 8W bulb isnt going to do it.So I will be up-grading the bits for a 14 or 16W system.The original starter is already 16W capable,so I will just have to change the bulb & ballast.
I have got some ADA Aquasoil for the substrate along with some rocks I bought but didnt use for my first tank.

Tomsk

Romad 01-09-2011 04:20 PM

Excellent job so far. Guess it's costing you a tad more than what you "stole" it for. Make sure to post some pics. when it's all done.

Tomsk 01-29-2011 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well its running,the only problem was that they don't do a 12" bulb thats 16W,so I bought a second light fitting and wired that up to the power supply to the original light (after the light switch).Now I have 16W of light running off one lead and both controlled by the one switch.

Tomsk

aunt kymmie 01-29-2011 03:25 PM

It's looking great. Are you going to add a background? Basic black would really show off whatever critters are going inside. A betta AND shrimp?? Good luck, I tried that once, lol. My betta ate 21 RCS in less than an hour. Make sure you get much bigger shrimp than cherries. ;-)

Tomsk 01-29-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 573642)
It's looking great. Are you going to add a background? Basic black would really show off whatever critters are going inside. A betta AND shrimp?? Good luck, I tried that once, lol. My betta ate 21 RCS in less than an hour. Make sure you get much bigger shrimp than cherries. ;-)

Yes a background will be added at some point either black or I may try to make one (light blue-ish),I'll play around until I like one.
I have a Betta & shrimp tank already and thigs are ok (ghost shrimp) though as you know it all depends on the Betta :roll:
Tomsk

MyLittlePleco 01-29-2011 04:28 PM

I'm loving the rocks in this tank. I think it's going to look awesome when you get a nice carpet over the substrate.
A nano tank on display at my LFS uses Dwarf Sagitaria as a carpet plant. It looks great, in my humble opinion of course.

Tomsk 01-29-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLittlePleco (Post 573696)
I'm loving the rocks in this tank. I think it's going to look awesome when you get a nice carpet over the substrate.
A nano tank on display at my LFS uses Dwarf Sagitaria as a carpet plant. It looks great, in my humble opinion of course.

Thank you.And your opinion is no more humble than my own,and opinions are greatly accepted.Else I will ever learn :notworthy:

Tomsk