Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Cryptocoryne spiralis (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/cryptocoryne-spiralis-57407/)

Blaxicanlatino 12-14-2010 03:06 PM

Cryptocoryne spiralis

I have cryptocoryne in spiralis in my 10 gallon, 15 watt tank for about 2 months now. it grows long and i see runners growing but the problem im having is with its leaves... the ents of the leaves tend to gradually rot and there seems to be brown spots on the leaves. is my lighting not high enough for them?

the substrate is flourite. I dose with flourish once a week.

redchigh 12-14-2010 06:19 PM

Try getting it some root tabs.

If it doesn't help, you may increase your light... but I use 20W over a 10, and I'm not sure that 5W difference would kill a crypt... Maybe someone else can help.

Byron 12-14-2010 07:48 PM

As we were discussing via PM, can you post a photo of the leaf with the brown spots and tips?

Blaxicanlatino 12-15-2010 07:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
sorry for the bad quality :(

can you see the yellowish brown spots on the leaves?

Byron 12-16-2010 11:05 AM

I would suggest some floating plants. Also, increase the Flourish to twice weekly from once.

Crypts can be fussy plants. I have had them doing fine for months, then not.

Blaxicanlatino 12-16-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 535716)
I would suggest some floating plants. Also, increase the Flourish to twice weekly from once.

Crypts can be fussy plants. I have had them doing fine for months, then not.

are you recommending lower lights?

Blaxicanlatino 12-16-2010 02:21 PM

oh and i put 5 drops of flourish in this tank also. is that enough?

Byron 12-16-2010 02:31 PM

Flourish: don't know. I use the ml/gal formula, so in a 30g 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) is the dose. In my 10g I dose about 1/4 tsp twice weekly. I was doing less but the plants haven't been as good as in the other tank, but that could also be related to the light--my 10g was the "experiment" in a window, but as of yesterday has a hood light. I would use 1/4 tsp twice weekly.

But the light may be more the issue. The fact that your stem plants are growing well suggests it is brighter than the crypts may need. But at this stage the best way to deal with that is to shade the crypts a bit, and floating plants work well. Even a stem plant like Pennywort allowed to float will do, at little expense. And it is easily controlled to keep it open above the stem plants.

My C. spiralis in my 70g has some yellowing leaves now and then, but new growth continues so I haven't bothered. As I mentioned, crypts are fussy plants.

Blaxicanlatino 12-16-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 535859)
Flourish: don't know. I use the ml/gal formula, so in a 30g 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) is the dose. In my 10g I dose about 1/4 tsp twice weekly. I was doing less but the plants haven't been as good as in the other tank, but that could also be related to the light--my 10g was the "experiment" in a window, but as of yesterday has a hood light. I would use 1/4 tsp twice weekly.

But the light may be more the issue. The fact that your stem plants are growing well suggests it is brighter than the crypts may need. But at this stage the best way to deal with that is to shade the crypts a bit, and floating plants work well. Even a stem plant like Pennywort allowed to float will do, at little expense. And it is easily controlled to keep it open above the stem plants.

My C. spiralis in my 70g has some yellowing leaves now and then, but new growth continues so I haven't bothered. As I mentioned, crypts are fussy plants.

will do :D hmm while we are talking about crypts, would a red crypt and bronze crypt be ok in 3 watt per gallon conditions?

and would a tank with more plants require more flourish per dose or same dose more frequenlty througout the week?

redchigh 12-16-2010 04:32 PM

Like most crypts, Wendtii prefer less light.

When you shade your spiralis, put the wendtii under it too. :)