Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   1st timer requiring some knowledge (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/1st-timer-requiring-some-knowledge-57157/)

Raisis 12-10-2010 02:08 PM

1st timer requiring some knowledge

Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased a Interpet Fishbox 40, which is a 48L tropical tank, with Thermo and 3 stage filter, as I am new to all this it seemed a good choice, as it's a full starter kit. I would like to know from experienced fish keepers as to how many fish I can have in the tank, and also, what would be a good mix of tropical fish I can purchase here in the UK.

Many Thanks to you all.

thefishboy 12-10-2010 02:12 PM

Hello fellow Uk'er... Nice statre there are many options for a 10g...
Heres a few..
Celestial Pearl Danio / Galaxy Rasboras
Ember Tetras
Pygmy Corydoras
A single Betta Splenden but that would be pretty much it....
And there are plenty more but oither 'pros' will chime in soon. Have fun!

Cashmeresocks 12-10-2010 02:20 PM

If you stick with a certain group, like tetras, you will be pretty safe. Watch out for how big your fish will be when they are adults. Go to the fish store, mark down what fish they have, and do a little research on them. Find out what kind of water paramaters they need (pH, temp, hardness, etc.) and then find fish that all have simillar needs.

Remember to cycle your tank first, before you stock, or you will have problems. A quick search on cycling an aquarium will give you lots of info.

Avoid over-stocking. Find fish that like to swim in different areas of the tank like top, middle, and bottom, so they are not all competing for the same space.

Read the Forums, just read. You will absorb lots of knowledge.

Raisis 12-10-2010 02:22 PM

Hi Fishboy, many thanks for the reply, I will have a look at what those fish look like and see how easy they are to look after. Is it a problem if I were to add a few crabs to the bottom of tank?

thefishboy 12-10-2010 02:25 PM

I think that crabs are a no-no in a small tank like that...
And they will eat small fish..
Definatley set the tank up with a good quality water conditioner..
Levae it running for a week or so test it to see your water and etc.Have a look at my tank if you want something to llok forward to (not at my bad aquascaping) but tank stocki and size. Any more questions post away..

Raisis 12-10-2010 02:25 PM

Thats very good advice Cashmeresocks, I will look at what fish I like the look of, and from there research how easy they are to care for, and I didnt think about where they may swim in the tank, thats a very good consideration. Thank you.

Raisis 12-10-2010 02:27 PM

ah ok, didnt know crabs would eat the fish, because the ones I had seen looked so small, lol, but I'll bear that in mind. I'll have a look at your tank now, thank you.

Cashmeresocks 12-10-2010 02:34 PM

You are welcome :) You are going to have so much fun setting up your tank! Taking care to do it right the first time will make everything go much smoother. Learn as much as you can. You will have some time to do plenty of research while your tank cycles.

I have a 10 gallon with shoaling fish, I like the way they zoom around together. I have Platys for the top, and a burst of color, some Red-Fin, X-Ray and Strawberry Tetras for the middle and corydoras for the bottom. I also keep the tank planted to reduce the amount of time I spend on cleaning it, and two nerite snails that help me clean too! (Note: in my current tank I should have more of each fish, but I have not been able to replace them. Shoaling fish like groups of 3-4 or more. In my profile you can see I only have one platy, Red-Fin and Corydora - that is not how they should be kept)

Raisis 12-10-2010 02:50 PM

Well luckily this kit came with 2 water treatments, 1 to make the tap water safe to use, and a 2nd to help the filter I think (its all still boxed) .

Yes, I've read that some fish like to be in groups, so any that are like that, I'll make sure to have enough of them.

I was going to get some living plants to help the water conditions, so from what you've said, I'll make sure to get some.

Cashmeresocks 12-10-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raisis (Post 531483)
Well luckily this kit came with 2 water treatments, 1 to make the tap water safe to use, and a 2nd to help the filter I think (its all still boxed) .

Yes, I've read that some fish like to be in groups, so any that are like that, I'll make sure to have enough of them.

I was going to get some living plants to help the water conditions, so from what you've said, I'll make sure to get some.

I personally like live plants. They are not necessary of course, just a preferance. If you have live plants, check that they dont require special lighting, fertilizer or CO2 and that your fish wont eat them as well(unless of course you want that!). I keep Java Fern and Java Moss, neither of which require me to do anything special and they grow well.

Dont worry, all of this will become second nature soon enough!