Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Coworker's dead fish :( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/coworkers-dead-fish-57144/)

iamgray 12-10-2010 11:44 AM

Coworker's dead fish :(

I didn't know where to post this... I feel awful and just needed to talk about it in a place where people would understand how upset I am...

A coworker has a 55g tank in his office, and he is away on holidays. Being the other "fish person" in the office, he always leaves me in charge of his fish when he's away... Well... our office is undergoing some major renovations/expansion, and they were doing electrical work on Wednesday, so they needed to shut down all the power in our building. This morning when I got in, I went up to his office to feed the fish... and his two huge banded leperinus were dead. That's when I realized... I never checked that the filter was running after the power was out. *sigh* I feel absolutely terrible... what a stupid thing for me to overlook. The filter is so quiet, it never even dawned on me that it wasn't running when I went in on Thursday morning to feed them.

Upon closer inspection I found one of his catfish dead as well as one of his smaller convict cichlids... So... I disposed of the bodies... got the filter up and running again, did a water change and added Prime. After about 10 minutes, the remaining fish all seemed active and normal again (they were all hiding/lethargic/gasping before that). I moved the decorations around and looked under everything and didn't find anymore dead ones...

I'm really upset with myself for allowing that to happen. I don't know if I should send him an email to let him know about it (he's in Jamaica so I can't exactly call him)... or if I should just wait until he gets back. Also I don't know if I should be replacing them while he's gone... I think I will wait until he gets back and offer to replace them for him rather than going out and doing anything on an impulse. He got that tank and the fish from a friend who was shutting down her tanks, and I remember at that point (a few months ago) he told me that he wasn't crazy about the banded leperinus... so maybe in that respect it's a blessing in disguise... but it doesn't change the fact that the fish suffered so much before they died, something that I completely blame myself for... ugh. Just... ugh.

aunt kymmie 12-10-2010 12:23 PM

Don't beat yourself up, sometimes these things happen. I wouldn't replace the fish nor would I email him to tell him. Why ruin his vacation? He'll be back soon enough. As much as I love my fish if something happened while I was away I would understand. I'm sure he will too. Chin up.

Romad 12-10-2010 01:36 PM

Agree with Kym. Don't blame yourself as you didn't do anything intentional. There was no neglect on your part, just an accidental oversight. And don't e-mail him in Jamaica mon.

iamgray 12-10-2010 10:58 PM

Ok. I will try to stop worrying. It's hard to shake the feeling of walking into the office and seeing the two big fish floating... I keep picturing them. Ick. i won't email him to tell him, either... I'll just make sure I get to the office before he does when he gets back into town, or maybe give him a call when he gets home rather than waiting for him to get to work.

tanker 12-10-2010 11:50 PM

Yes, I agree. If the situation was reversed and it was your tank, would you blame him? I wouldn't. It's just an unfortunate accident.

I used to look after these young boys. They went away for the weekend and I had to feed their goldfish and one died. I was very apprehensive about telling them and having a crying, upset boy to deal with, but they just went "which one?" and weren't in the least upset. Your colleague may be similarly unaffected so don't worry too much by anticipating a reaction that won't happen.

redchigh 12-11-2010 03:18 PM

+1.
The funny thing, is I was listening to bob marley's "Everythings gonna be all right" when I read this.
Chillax, and don't mess up his vacation.

iamgray 12-17-2010 09:40 AM

So it turns out that, as pretty much everyone told me, he didn't kill me.

He came in this morning and I told him... and he said "aw, that's sh***y... oh well."

*huge sigh of relief*

Then he went on to tell me that while he was in Jamaica checking out all the saltwater fish there, he started thinking he'd like to switch this tank over to saltwater, and had been contemplating rehoming the fish.

Phew! And I am excited to see the process when he starts it.

tanker 12-17-2010 09:58 AM

That's good. I'm glad the stress of worrying about it is over.

aunt kymmie 12-17-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanker (Post 536602)
That's good. I'm glad the stress of worrying about it is over.

+1. I hope he doesn't expect you to take care of his S/W tank when he goes to Jamaica next. Make sure he knows we know nothing about S/W, lol.

Romad 12-17-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamgray (Post 536594)
So it turns out that, as pretty much everyone told me, he didn't kill me.

He came in this morning and I told him... and he said "aw, that's sh***y... oh well."

*huge sigh of relief*

Then he went on to tell me that while he was in Jamaica checking out all the saltwater fish there, he started thinking he'd like to switch this tank over to saltwater, and had been contemplating rehoming the fish.

Phew! And I am excited to see the process when he starts it.

Yay!! Glad you're stress about it is over.