Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   trying to decide which fish to sell (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/trying-decide-fish-sell-57136/)

Inga 12-10-2010 07:24 AM

trying to decide which fish to sell

So with the Guppy breeding (not on purpose) the tank is getting full. I have talked to a live fish store owner who is happy to take some of my fish and sell them. He says the Platies, Barbs and Guppies are all hot sellers. I was thinking I would just take the Guppy babies but now I am wondering about selling some of the Platies or Barbs.

Do any of you sell your fish or trade your fish for other species? I have always been a "tell death do we part" type of pet owner but it seems so many people do a lot of trading in the fish business. Do people just get sick of the fish they have? Part of me is wondering if a change might be nice. Most of that simply comes from the fact that I didn't really have my heart set on Barbs in the fist place and was talked into them. Not to mention the "gift" of the Guppies I didn't want. I do like them too. I guess it doesn't take much to make me bond with a living being.

I am struggling with the idea of re-homing even my baby Guppies but... the tank is FULL of them. Someone has to go. :-(

tanker 12-10-2010 08:09 AM

If it was me, I'd find it easier to trade barbs. My platies are individuals and so is my last guppy (so were my other guppies before they died) so I "know" them. Barbs would be less individual to me. I like my groups of tetras but I don't "know" them as individuals the way I do my platies. You'll probably have to send your guppy babies away because you'll just end up with too many and the guppies will still keep producing them (unless you trade your females).

aunt kymmie 12-10-2010 08:32 AM

Inga, like you, I have always been a "till death do us part" pet owner too but I've learned that sometimes that doesn't always work for the "health" of the tank. I have felt forced to rehome a few fish due to their behavior stressing the other fish in the tank.
I was able to emotionally "recover" very quickly from rehoming them, beause all I had to do was to gaze into my tank and see complete harmony restored. Good luck, I know it's hard for weeping hearts like us.

Inga 12-10-2010 09:08 AM

I keep bouncing back and forth as to what to do. Part of me thinks I should just get rid of ALL of the female Guppies and just put the few males back into the small tank with the Cories. Part of me thinks I should get rid of the Barbs too but honestly, I really enjoy them. They are so lively and silly. The other thing is that I feel EXTRA sorry for them because I know they are a fish often sold as a "cycling fish" or "disposable" I do not see them that way. I think they are fun to watch and quite lovely to boot.

Do Platies need to be in a group? Mine do not seem especially attached to each other. I have ONE of them I really like but the others are just sort of there. My favorite Guppy died a while back so I am a little less attached to most of them. Junior is staying and will have to move to the large tank if I get rid of all the females and move the males to the small tank. Junior is a beautiful little girl. :) I can't part with her, she was my first baby born and is just sort of special. I am sure I am completely losing it but when I call out to her, she comes to the glass and looks at me. Yeah, it might be coincidence but it happens all the time. There is one other female I would like to keep. She is the daughter (I assume by her markings) of the female that died that was my favorite. She is a black/silver Guppy with a striking Yellow polka dotted tail. Lovely fish.

I wish I knew what to do... :( Another very very small part of me just thinks I should buy a larger tank to house everyone I have but I know they will continue to populate and this MUST come to an end. Darn hard choices. :(

tanker 12-10-2010 09:11 AM

I don't think my platies are particularly bonded to their group.

Maybe you could get another tank. You will need to get rid of some fish, but it would let you keep the ones you are most attached to.

redchigh 12-10-2010 09:33 AM

Platies are okay being solitary....

As for the female guppies... Might have a problem, since you can isolate a female guppy, and she will still give birth every month or so for a year, (or the rest of her life) since they store the genetic material from males.

You actually reminded me, I've only been attached to one guppy. I miss bertha. :P
None of her daughters had her markings, but she gave birth to several beautiful yellow snakeskin males.

Inga 12-10-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 531279)
Platies are okay being solitary....

As for the female guppies... Might have a problem, since you can isolate a female guppy, and she will still give birth every month or so for a year, (or the rest of her life) since they store the genetic material from males.

You actually reminded me, I've only been attached to one guppy. I miss bertha. :P
None of her daughters had her markings, but she gave birth to several beautiful yellow snakeskin males.

Well, the Guppies I can always take to trade in for something else. I just don't want to keep doing that. It sort of breaks my heart to see my babies in a shop tank. The Platies are hard to catch compared to the Guppies who practically jump into the net.