Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Fish tank light blew.. How long can a tank go without a light?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fish-tank-light-blew-how-long-57129/)

thefishboy 12-10-2010 02:31 AM

Fish tank light blew.. How long can a tank go without a light??

How long can a fish tank go without lights?? I plugged in a timer this morning and it stopped working. I've only had it for 1 and a half months.. Just wanted to have a rant coz I'm sick of things gong wrong so may just take the tank down after school. Because. I'm not paying ant more to fix this fish tank...
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 12-10-2010 04:57 AM

If you have no live plants, you don't NEED to have a light. In an unplanted tank, the light is primarily for us to see them. In a well lit room, there is enough ambient light for the fish to know it's daytime - a light is not required.

If the tank is in a room that is dark all the time, it would be a good idea to provide some light, as the day/night cycle is imortant. But you're fish won't die without light.

Romad 12-10-2010 07:15 AM

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure the timer is se tproperly? I had a few that were touchy.

Take the timer off and test it again. Bulbs last for years.

thefishboy 12-10-2010 02:58 PM

It seems to work now.... I took the bulb out and shook it and put it in and it seems to work.
But on a downside i found a neon tetra on the desk next to my tank... It obviously jumped out. RIP...

Mikaila31 12-10-2010 03:10 PM

My gain then? No offense, but the only reason I continue this hobby is because a lot of people dump pricey equipment that "just stops working". Broken is if something is legitimately broken, not dead bulbs or starters since those will normally wear out like the tires on your car. Your standard "cheap" light fixture could probably be fixed in 30 minuets if you knew how. Possibly a hour or two if you have no idea what was broken or how to repair and had to learn it. Cost is dependent on type of light and what broke or wore out. If its your timer, well then its not your light.... If you don't want to buy a new timer or fix it I guess you will have to use the on/off switch on your light. If its your light, then fish just get to stay in the dark I guess.

I have 4-5 timers and never had one break. Only problem is loosing the dumb pegs for the cheap ones.

edit: Next time I don't recommend shaking mercury bulbs, thats like an accent waiting to happen. It was probably just the connection at the endcaps. Cheap fixtures love to do that. I always fix them at work, you don't even need to take them out. Just magic touch...

fish joey 12-10-2010 03:13 PM

Sorry about your Neon......glad your have come in off the ledge again!!!!:-)

thefishboy 12-10-2010 03:13 PM

Well not shake shake just to see if i could here anything rattling..

Mikaila31 12-10-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 531426)
Well not shake shake just to see if i could here anything rattling..

Which you should of heard...

Cashmeresocks 12-10-2010 03:55 PM

im glad your light is fixed. Sounds like you have a dud bulb. New ones aren't that expensive.

Sorry you lost a fish over it. :-(

thefishboy 12-10-2010 03:56 PM

|Thanks fishjoey and cashmere socks