Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Quick Help with an external canister filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/quick-help-external-canister-filter-57062/)

gaygaz 12-09-2010 07:21 AM

Quick Help with an external canister filter

I have a problem. I am on my second external canister filter as the first one leaked from the head unit after filling with water. After cleaning out the new one today it to began to leak the same way. As many people tell me these are great filters i have to assume that i am doing something wrong to cause this.

Would you have any idea's ?

Thanks Gaz xx.

tanker 12-09-2010 09:01 AM

Which brand and model do you have, and where's it leaking from? (Mine has a little cap thing and you have to turn it around until it clicks firmly into place.)

gaygaz 12-09-2010 09:44 AM

hi

thanks for your reply it is an orca 305 and is leaking from the power cord outlet once the head unit fills with water witch i don't thinks should even happen.

I have taken out the moter and put Vaseline on the o ring and done the same to the tap rings and top seal and waiting to see what happens.

Thankfully it is a slow leak and so its standing in a bucket so will be ok for the night.

Thanks your your response to :) Gary xx.

tanker 12-09-2010 05:35 PM

Well, it shouldn't leak at all, it doesn't really make any difference where from, but I'd be especially concerned about water and power cords. The question is whether you've overlooked anything in setting it up, or whether it is a defective unit. I don't have your brand or model so I would only be able to extrapolate from how mine is. The only thing mine warns against in relation to the power cord is not to trap the power cord under the power head when you put it on. Does yours say that and is your power cord untrapped?

Is it a new unit? I'd first try ringing the manufacturer and if they couldn't sort it out, I'd just take it back to the shop and get another brand (if you've had 2 the same with the same defect, there could be a design defect or a faulty batch). Your filter has quite a big job to do and you need to be confident that it's doing it without drama.

Sorry I'm not much help.

SinCrisis 12-17-2010 12:11 PM

whats a orca 305? Ive never heard of these canisters before.. Ive heard of Fluval 305.. Can you post a link to it?

gaygaz 12-18-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 536690)
whats a orca 305? Ive never heard of these canisters before.. Ive heard of Fluval 305.. Can you post a link to it?

The best ive have been able to find online is only a picture of it in google pics i dont understand why this is.

I have had it repaired tho :) and all is working well for now.

Gary xx.

gaygaz 12-18-2010 08:39 AM

help with my angel fish

Hi all. I have 5 angel fish one large red melon and 4 smaller once witch are a yellow diamond a blue diamond a white diamond and a blue turquoise diamond. Most of them have the symptoms of shimmy and the large red melon keeps glancing or rubbing its self agents an ornament in the tank as if it is itchy.

I am changing 20 percent of the water every 3 days witch is around 40 ltrs and i have the temp at 82f or 28 deg c
I am cleaning the gravel each time i do a water change being careful not to over clean it.

I am also using 3 tri sulpher tablets witch is a half dose because i have clown loaches in the tank.

Is there anything more i can do ? I also have some black spot on some of them with some darkening of the large fins.

Thanks Gary xx.

tanker 12-18-2010 10:52 AM

You might be better off asking a mod to move your latest post to a new thread in the Fish Diseases sub-forum. People who might know something about sick fish won't see it in your thread about your filter.