Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   New tank and new member to the community :) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/new-tank-new-member-community-56975/)

Elvis 12-07-2010 10:20 PM

New tank and new member to the community :)

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my first ever aquarium!
Its a 75 gallon tank with a fluval 304 filter everything was bought 2nd hand. I believe the tank has cycled I'm not 100% sure its been a month now since the tank has been setup. I have lost some fish already but it seems to be stable now, most the fish look happy.

Fish:
8 Guppies (Lost 1 in the early stages but all of them look happy now)
6 Neon Tetras (I've lost 2 already and I'm a little worried about "neon tetra disease")
3 Dwarf Gouramis (1 doesn't look too good, lost 1 already)
2 Zebra Danios
2 Red Wag Platys

Most of the fish were added the day after it was filled with water due to lack of research and also my dad :evil:
This tank has been pretty poorly setup I have just recently started doing research and beginning to understand how everything works. It even had some live plants in it in the beginning :-? I have no where near enough light to support that so they had to go. Despite the bad start it seems to be doing alright now besides the 1 Gourami its not very active and it seems to hide all the time.

Attachment 20490

tanker 12-08-2010 06:10 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My tanks took a bit longer than that to cycle (about 6 weeks) but every tank is different so yours might have finished cycling more quickly. It sounds like you're off to a good start in any case.

I like those splashes of pink - I love pink!

small fry 12-08-2010 06:37 AM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping!:-D

This is just a suggestion, but I recomend you get 4 or 5 more danios, they are schooling fish and like to be kept in a group of 6 or more.

Some gouramis are shy and don't like fast-moving fish. Gouramis like to hide sometimes. I wouldn't be worried unless he wasn't coming up to eat, or he has an obvious sign of fungus or bacteria, etc.

Tank looks nice!

fish joey 12-08-2010 07:11 AM

Welcome to TFK .......nice color!!!!:-)

Elvis 12-08-2010 01:57 PM

Thx for the comments guys!

The gourami does come up to eat so I hope its all well. The 2 Danios are really interesting to watch they are so active and they seem to be pretty happy with just 2 of them.
I would love to get more tetras but I'm afraid cause my other ones may have died from "neon tetra disease" and I have read that its contagious so my tank my be infected with it :cry:

cmc29 12-08-2010 03:00 PM

Welcome to the forum. You've got a GREAT starter tank.

How do you know you don't have enough light for live plants?
Lots and Lots of plants love low light, your fish will love them too!
Also live plants greatly improve water quality when conditions are balanced.
Just something you might look into. Your tank looks very nice.

Also, on the gourami's dying. I've seen a dwarf gourami kill another dwarf gourami.
I lost a powder blue one years ago to a "flame" gourami.
I'm not saying that's what happened. If it looked all beat up when you found it, it
was probably one of the other gourami.

Elvis 12-08-2010 03:22 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I would love to house live plants if I could but I only have one T5 bulb and I believe its 3 feet long I measured it but I can't remember exactly.
None the less I read that I would need more than 1 bulb for a 75 gallon tank since the light won't reach the bottom as easy.

I just did a water change and cleaned just the front gravel. I took a few pics I'm pretty surprised how well they turned out considering I took them from my Iphone. I have included one of the Gourami, you can see how its tail is down it looks kind of sad.

Attachment 20499

Attachment 20500

Attachment 20501

Attachment 20502

Attachment 20504

Attachment 20505

thefishboy 12-08-2010 03:43 PM

Lovely tank!!!!!!!

kaxt 12-09-2010 12:44 PM

Your tank looks great.

I also have a 75g tank with just 1 T5 for light, it's a 65 watt, 4 foot bulb. I have a lot of plants in that tank that have been doing well for years.

I have mother plant Amazon Swords, Anubias, Coon Tail, Vals, and a few others. The coon tail grows very quickly, I have to prune it back every week. As long as you pick plants that will do well in low light you can put live plants in that tank. It helps to position the plants directly under the light as well.

creativeriver 12-09-2010 01:08 PM

Beautiful tank!

Wonderful tank and welcome to a fantastic community!