Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 55gal questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-55gal-questions-56954/)

Jayy 12-07-2010 07:55 PM

New 55gal questions

For Chirstmas I'm getting a 55gal and I have some questions.

What are some easy low plants good for a plant newbie?

What brands of heaters are good and affordable?

Whats a good brand of filters

I'm thinking about getting a marineland filter because they got really good reviews and I can afford one.

What is a good brand of fertilzer?

Is 17 a ok number of fish?

I went on AqAdvisor and they said it was alright.

The smallest fish plan to keep is a neon tetra and the largest a pearl gourami.

Egrant 12-08-2010 01:06 AM

For the filter I have had great results with my Aqua Clear 110 on my 60 gallon. just ensure when you change the media out you never change it all at once. I had filter on the back that you just changed the foam/charcol at once, when i put this new filter on, WOW, i had no clue what clear was till then. Good luck

sik80 12-08-2010 06:31 AM

I'll try to answer a few of your questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayy (Post 529334)
For Chirstmas I'm getting a 55gal and I have some questions.

What are some easy low plants good for a plant newbie?

Assuming a low tech approach - some easy low light plants include - anubias (there are lots of species), crypts (again, lots of species), java fern, java moss, brazilian pennywort, wisteria (hygrophila difformis) and swords (many echniodorus species, including some dwarfs).

Read byron's stickies in the aquarium plants section of the forum if you haven't already. it's brilliant

Quote:

What is a good brand of fertilzer?

Many people on here use Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive

Quote:

Is 17 a ok number of fish?

I went on AqAdvisor and they said it was alright.

The smallest fish plan to keep is a neon tetra and the largest a pearl gourami.

The number of fish your keeping isn't the most important factor. There's lots of factors to think about when stocking a tank - this should include the water parameters that the fish prefer (water temp, pH, hardness), compatibility (will the fish get on with each other?) and bioload (how much waste the fish will produce and will your filter will cope with this?). I'd suggest starting a separate thread about what fish you intend to stock and people will give you thier opinions. Aqadvisor should only ever be used as a rough guide.

Jayy 12-08-2010 02:10 PM

Thanks for the repiles! I'm be sure to check Bryon's thread. The fish are all peaceful commuity that I've had already or researched. For the filter I'm thinking of getting a Marineland penguin 350. Has anyone used one or heard about them? It got very nice reviews on Petco.com.

Jayy 12-08-2010 05:34 PM

Bump^^

Jayy 12-09-2010 07:15 PM

Anyone else?

Hokyfish 12-09-2010 07:22 PM

Yes. I have the Penguin 350 and it works great. I have zero problems with it and it is very quiet.

Jayy 12-09-2010 07:23 PM

Thank you for repiling!!

Jayy 12-10-2010 02:37 PM

Forget it. I'm getting more help on bettafish.com than here.

thefishboy 12-11-2010 10:56 AM

What do you need?? I may be able to help .. Low maintenance plants?? Look at my tank and see.