Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need advice on this idea (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-advice-idea-5692/)

FishN00b 05-07-2007 01:06 PM

Need advice on this idea

I have just bought a Fluval Duo Extra 1200 which is a 240l tank. It came with a fluval 305 external filter which deals with tanks upto 300l.

I can't set the new tank up for another week or so as the tank is on order.

If I hook this big external filter up to my existing 2ft tank, which is nearly 7 weeks old, it should give it a good start for the cycle on the new tank when its set up? Taking good bacteria from my tank?

Will this big filter be too much for me lil tank as a temporary measure?

I WONT be replacing the existing filter as its got all my bacteria in there, i was going to run both.

I hope this makes sense lol

All comments appreciated, cheers guys

FishN00b 05-07-2007 01:45 PM

I've just watched the DVD that came with it, even if it were too powerful for the tank, the intake tube is longer than the depth of the 2ft tank, I'm not going to cut it. *Sigh* oh well, long cycle on the big tank i guess?

I'm going fishless, anyone know where to buy ammonia from?

hamdogg08 05-07-2007 06:18 PM

what about putting the filter on a bucket/tote that you use to fill your tanks with? Everyone on this forum probably has a spare 5 gallon bucket laying around. Just throw some fish food into that, and put the filter on there if you want to get a head start on cycling.

FishN00b 05-08-2007 07:04 AM

Interesting idea, didn't think of that.

After watching the installation CD, as long as the intake end of the pipe and the outlet are fully submerged, I think it should be fine.

Anyone got any comments to make on this idea? I would appreciate some. Can I use plain ammonia instead of the fish food?

hamdogg08 05-08-2007 09:35 AM

Yeah, that'd be fine. I just use fish food because there's always some around.

FishN00b 05-08-2007 12:07 PM

I've been thinking about this idea today. I'm thinking it may me non-productive as the water volume of the bucket is far less than that of my new tank (240l).

Will this make a diff?

fish_4_all 05-08-2007 01:32 PM

Well you have an established tank so why not do this:
Put some filter floss in the running filter and let it stay there until you are ready to set up the new tank. Take out the filter floss and put it in one of the compartments or just in the main compartment of the new filter and leave it there. It will have beneficial bacteria on it and it will grow faster that way.
Also, you can take some of the gravel from the old tank, put in some nylons and put it in the filter and also put another one on the substrate. Both ways will help to establish the bacteria a little faster.

Any ornaments, fake plants and even live plants will help with this. Caves, driftwood, bogwood, anything that has been in the old tank for a while will have a lot of bacteria on it and help to get the cycle going faster.

As for putting the filter in a 5 gallon bucket, go for it. Use old water from the set up tank and feed the bacteria either food or you could even use pure ammonia to get the cycle going faster. Put some gravel in the bottom, maybe 2-3 handfuls and you are off to at least a good start. Just make sure that the bucket gets some surface agitation to give the bacteria enough oxygen to thrive.