Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Glass Cats in 20 gallon long? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/glass-cats-20-gallon-long-56794/)

combray 12-05-2010 11:43 AM

Glass Cats in 20 gallon long?

Currently I have 4 glass cats and 6 neon tetras in a well-planted 10 gallon tank. All the fish seem quite content and healthy. The glass cats are particularly active at night and enjoy keeping a low profile behind the plants during the day. I believe they are the Kryptopterus minor variety as they are approximately 2 inches in length.

I am looking to purchase a larger tank for the glass cats. I was hoping a 20 gallon long might work, as that would fit nicely on a stand I already have. I have one other 20 gallon long and I really like that footprint. I could go larger, possibly up to a 55 gallon, but then I would need to get another stand or build one.

Also, I'd like to add 2 more glass cats as 6 seems to be the minimum number to keep them happy. I purchased the glass cats on a whim, but I want to make sure I house them properly.

So would 6 glass cats in a well-planted 20 gallon long work? If so, what might be some good tank mates. I am particularly fond of the smaller shoaling fish: mosquito rasbora, ember tetras, Celestial Pearl Danios (if I could locate some), etc.

I am open to all suggestions at the moment.
Thanks,
combray

Byron 12-05-2010 01:27 PM

If you check the profile of this species here (click on the shaded name in posts, or use the second tab from the left in the blue bar above) you will note it recommends a group of 5-6 and in a 36-inch tank. It also mentinos the fish may eat fry. Depending upon how small the Ember, Rasbora, Danio might be, at night when this fish (the cat) is active they might disappear. None of these fish grow much beyond 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

Byron.

combray 12-05-2010 02:45 PM

Thank you Byron. I may go with a 40 gallon breeder then as a good compromise. I'll save getting the Celestial Pearl Danios for my 10g once the glass cats move out. I wouldn't want them to become midnight snacks.

combray 12-05-2010 08:27 PM

So if I go with a planted 40 gallon breeder tank, how many glass cats would fit and still leave room for other fish? I already have 4 glass cats. I was thinking of adding 3 more glass cats and then maybe a fish that will shoal. Perhaps Zebra Danios, White Cloud Minnows? Or any other suggestions for good tank mates would be appreciated.
Thank you.

combray 12-06-2010 10:20 AM

I just purchased a 40 gallon breeder tank from my LFS. So if all goes according to plan the glass cats will move into their newly planted home in a few weeks. And I should have room then to add a couple more to the group.

Next step, I am going to place an order with Sweet Aquatics and get planting. :-)

Byron 12-07-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combray (Post 527710)
So if I go with a planted 40 gallon breeder tank, how many glass cats would fit and still leave room for other fish? I already have 4 glass cats. I was thinking of adding 3 more glass cats and then maybe a fish that will shoal. Perhaps Zebra Danios, White Cloud Minnows? Or any other suggestions for good tank mates would be appreciated.
Thank you.

You will note in our profiles in the section on tank size that it is usually the length of tank that is mentioned rather than volume. This is significant because longer tanks means more surface area on the substrate and water surface, and more swimming space. Assuming the 40g would be 3-feet in length at minimum, a group of 7 glass cats is fine. As for companions, as noted in the profile, anything non-aggressive will probably work, aside from very small fish which might be seen as food.

White Clouds are often an issue because of temperature, they do better in cooler waters. The glass cats are fine down to 70F, so with the temp in the low 70's this would work. Zebra danio also work in lower temps as noted in our profile. Many of the peaceful danio and rasbora are other options. A group (all these are shoaling fish) of 6+ of any 2 or 3 compatible species, plus the cats, would be fine in a 40g.

combray 12-08-2010 07:03 PM

Thank you again Byron.

Yes, my 40 gallon is 36 inches in length. I am planning on a heavily planted tank. The temperature in my other tanks runs about 72-73 degrees, so a cooler temp companion such as the zebra danio might work well.

I hope to get the glass cats settled in next week.

I will browse through the danios and rasbora profiles too for other possible tank mates.
Thanks again.

Lolcat 12-12-2010 11:05 PM

giant danios are also great, they have similar temp needs as the corys, i have 3 bronze corys and 6 giant danios in the same tank, and they never bother each other, in fact, ive seen them schooling with one cory once!

combray 12-15-2010 07:27 AM

Thank you to everyone for all the help. A couple days ago I moved the glass cats into the 40 gallon breeder. I added 2 more, so now the group is up to 6 total. So far, they are the lone occupants of that tank. There are lots and lots of plants for them to hide under (I am considering experimenting with LED lighting for this tank, but I guess that is probably best addressed in a new thread).

I have the tank setup in my studio and they are soothing companions while I work.

I will checkout the profile on the giant danios, thanks for suggestion Lolcat.