Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Whats Going On With My Guppies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/whats-going-my-guppies-56652/)

fizzyface1000 12-03-2010 12:22 PM

Whats Going On With My Guppies?

Hey Folks. Wonder If You Could Help. Theres A Couple Of Problems I Have Regarding My Guppies.

Ok To Start I Bought 15 New Fish To Go In The Community Tank I Have (10 guppies, male+female mix. and 5 swortails) That was About 2-3weeks ago.

Since they have been added to the tank (which i have more fish in and all of them are doing great) These new ones just seem to be dying off with no reason why.
the 1s couple that dies seemed to be because of fighting, but there was 3 or 4 guppies that looked as if theier stomach exploded. then i went to check on the last 4 new ones and 2 of them (both albino guppy females) had died. no fighting injuries or anything.

i keep 2 clown loaches, 2 sucker loaches 1 big pleco, 4 swordtails and a range of other guppies in a 4-5ft tank.
i have lost 13 out of the 15 new fish i bought and i have no idea why. All 5 swordtails have died along with 3 males and 5 female guppies.

there is also a new problem. the guppies i have seem to have caught "ich" or whitespot. i have been treating and changing the tank but yet it keeps passing from guppy to guppy. no other species has it.

PLEASE HELP!!!!! :cry::cry::cry:

luckysarah 12-03-2010 01:49 PM

sounds like a water issue to me, the fish are stressed and getting sick/dying off.

Do you have a test kit?
or a LFS you could bring a sample of your water in for testing?

The medications to kill disease usually will kill all the good bacteria that keeps a tank healthy so I think this may be your problem.

Female guppies are usually pretty hardy ( I have used the same 2 to cycle 3 tanks and they are still thriving).

Do you know what your Ph is?
Are you using conditioner when you add new water?
How often are you doing water changes?
What is the temperature of the water?

fizzyface1000 12-03-2010 05:25 PM

dont currently have a testing kit. about to order one.
usure of the Ph, Yes adding Safe Water treatment and with the white spot im doing weekly changes
water temp is at 25c at the minute

fizzyface1000 12-03-2010 05:26 PM

i still dont understand why it only seems to be the new fish i bought. all my original fish are doing fine

luckysarah 12-03-2010 06:34 PM

because if your water is high in any one of the following ammonia/nitrites or nitrates your current fish would have been able to adjust to the levels slowly where new fish are being bombarded with high levels right away causing stress/illness and death.