Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Cleaning out used tanks? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/cleaning-out-used-tanks-56646/)

small fry 12-03-2010 06:36 AM

Cleaning out used tanks?

Hello, I got used tanks from a friend. I got 2 55g tanks, one for amazon/tetra, and the other for saltwater fish later next year.

I also got a tank that is smaller than a 5g. In measurements it is the same height and width as a regular 5 gallon tank. In length it is noticabely shorter by at least a couple inches. I guess maybe it is a 4 gallon tank? Anyway, it appers that water had sit in it unfiltered for a while. There is a noticeable water-line (where the water level was when the tank had water in it), and I can't scrub to the top of the water-line.

It is smooth were it had water, but rough and non-see-through above where the water line was. The water-line is at a little over 3/4 of the tank high. It looks ugly, and no matter how long I scrub it, or how hot the water, it just isn't coming out.

Is there a chemical I can use to clean out this tank? I am going to put Tony, my betta, in it so I want it to be perfectly safe. My mom suggested I use Clorox Bleach but I am not sure that is safe.

BTW the 55g tank is a total mess! I haven't started on that one yet, but I can't wait to see schools of tetra swimming around in a nice, well planted aquarium.

My immeadiate issue is the cleaning the "4g" tank. Any cleaning tips on the other tanks would be very helpful!

Thanks!

underh2o 12-03-2010 05:53 PM

I have used salt non iodized for years with no ill effects. Try it there is a slight abrasive in it so it may do the trick..

tanker 12-03-2010 06:08 PM

Have you tried vinegar?

zof 12-03-2010 07:21 PM

Bleach might work but you have to make sure its all out before you stock, vinegar like tanker said is your best option, just takes a bit of elbow grease but it should pull most everything off. Also use a razor blade with the ammonia it should pull the hard water off, just be careful not to scratch the glass.

small fry 12-03-2010 08:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
When you use vinigar, do let it sit with 100% vinagar and no water? I can try vinigar, I just need to know how.
__________________________________________________ ____
:-D :-D
__________________________________________________ ____
This is my favorite 55g tank that I have spent hours cleaning today.

BEFORE
Attachment 20214
Attachment 20215

AFTER
Attachment 20216

That was elbow grease! I have got to finish that one tomorow.

tanker 12-03-2010 08:18 PM

Well, you can use neat vinegar or dilute it a bit. If it's really bad, I'd use neat vinegar.

small fry 12-03-2010 08:39 PM

Thanks!

Should I let it sit full of vinegar tonight?

tanker 12-03-2010 09:42 PM

I don't know what you should do, all I know is that vinegar can get off lime deposits (it's acidic). I'd try wiping it with vinegar and see if it moves the deposits at all. If it seems to be shifting them, then you could either soak it (it'd cost a lot to buy that much vinegar?) or put some vinegar-soaked pads on the affected areas (you'd need to do one side at a time).

Mikaila31 12-04-2010 12:51 AM

lay the tank on its side an pour vinegar until it cover the one pane and let it sit for 12-24 hours. Rinse it out scrub it down and do another side till they are all done.

small fry 12-04-2010 07:46 AM

It is such a small tank, perhaps I should fill it all the way up?