Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hey Everyone!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hey-everyone-56536/)

northlakefarm 12-01-2010 08:53 AM

Hey Everyone!!

Hi Everyone:) I'm REALLY excited to be here! And really excited to learn as much as I can about my new hobby! I have had one ten gallon set up for about 6 months now, cycling nicely! This tank introduced me to this new hobby! Being in college, one of my buddies has decided to move off to Thailand, and was going to flush his fish before he went! After being a long time animal shelter employee, naturally I rescued his fish! Little did I know what I was getting myself into!! It all started when his lovely female dalmatian molly named Frankenstein spit out some Fry! So I invested in a twenty gallon. Naturally, I wanted some plants, because this guy also gave me his old "grow light!" Haha, so here I am, with my happy little fish family! My planted 20 gallon has taught me a lot so far, and we are still getting some things figured out there. It's been happily cycling for a couple months, so I added my own inhabitants. First, I added three opaline gourami's and a cori cat. Unfortunately, I did this BEFORE I added a heater! I lost one Opaline to Ick, and quickly learned my lesson. Now that I have a heater, I added a Gold gourami, and two Endler's guppy with a female. Now here is my Gourami Education! My Goldie is a meanie! BUT one Endler has survived and is now running the tank!
I'm still working out some kinks on my 20 gal, like getting nitrates under control (which I think is coming from leaving my lights on too long? Any ideas?) And my two surviving Opaline's are CONSTANTLY chasing each other, and one has even lost an antennae!
SO, I love my new hobby, and am SO excited to meet fellow fish enthusiasts!
I'm a crazy cat lady too, you have been warned!!
Ha, and so far, no run ins with kitty and fish:)

tanker 12-01-2010 09:12 AM

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

I didn't know light could influence nitrate levels. How often are you doing water changes and how much do you change?

northlakefarm 12-01-2010 09:19 AM

Oh I have no idea if they do, that's the only conclusion that I could come to after googling it. I seemed to find a relationship between algae and nitrates (? dunno if thats true?!) BUT I change my water weekly, and tend to do a couple gallons (10-25% water changes) and I test water before and after.

northlakefarm 12-01-2010 09:23 AM

PS- Your tanks are stunningly beautiful! Very creative!

tanker 12-01-2010 09:28 AM

Whose, mine? If so, thanks.

Have you tested your water for nitrates straight out of the tap? Maybe your water has them....

northlakefarm 12-01-2010 09:29 AM

Really? I will check now! And yes, your tanks! And one a sidenote, I have heard that female bettas can live in communities? This true?

northlakefarm 12-01-2010 09:31 AM

Nope, when I tested the tap, Nitrates came out all clear!

tanker 12-01-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northlakefarm (Post 524270)
I have heard that female bettas can live in communities? This true?

yes, but you need a big enough tank for each to have her own space, there could be aggression issues, and you need to have a certain number to share out the aggression (5?) Don't take that as gospel, because I'm just going from memory and could be completely wrong :lol:

How high are the nitrates you are talking about?

northlakefarm 12-01-2010 09:42 AM

About 20ppm
Think one female would be happy in my tank?

SinCrisis 12-01-2010 09:50 AM

Can you list all your current inhabitants? I feel like your tank may be overstocked for a 20g, esp with gouramis since they grow large and are not ok to keep in groups unless the tank has a lot of surface area for their territories...