Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Angels and tiger barbs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/angels-tiger-barbs-56408/)

noledoc 11-29-2010 02:41 PM

Angels and tiger barbs

Regarding your tiger barbs, a question. Would tiger barbs be a problem if you had more of them and your tank was twice as big? I'm asking the question because I'm considering the combo later in a 500 gal tank. I'm thinking about 8-10 angels and about 20 tiger barbs plus others.
Any thoughts?
Paul

thefishboy 11-29-2010 02:42 PM

Nole... Hijacker!! Create your own threads...
To answer your question in short no... I wouldnt have sedate angel fish with very very fast and busy tiger barbs...

noledoc 11-29-2010 02:47 PM

Thanks for the protocol help Fishboy. I'm just feeling my way around. I hope folks are understanding of newbees mistakes. I think I understand about the threads.
Regarding the tiger barbs and angels, I've seen large schools of Tbarbs in huge tanks (zoos etc) simply hanging out in loose schools looking as sedate as minature angels.
Paul

thefishboy 11-29-2010 02:51 PM

If your set on angels and you have a 500g get like 20 angels!! And some large schools of large tetras..

noledoc 11-29-2010 02:59 PM

Fishboy, thanks for your input. I checked out your tanks and you have some nice ones! Your idea about more angels has some real appeal. Any specific recommendations for schooling fish? I was thinking about two different types, one school of about 20 Harl Rasboas and the other?

thefishboy 11-29-2010 03:01 PM

Why dont you make a new thread or would you like me to pm you??

noledoc 11-29-2010 03:32 PM

I'll do my best. I have to figure out the particulars.

Byron 11-29-2010 07:04 PM

First, I have moved the related posts to this new thread for you, Paul.

Now to your questions. I do not suggest or recommend mixing Tiger Barb with Angels, regardless of the tank size. If you check the info in the profiles on these two fish--second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top takes you to the profiles section, or you can click on the fish/plant name in posts when it is shaded--you will see why. This is asking for trouble, even in a very large space.

To the question on compatible fish for angels, some are suggested in the profile for Pterophyllum scalare, the common angelfish. Given its slow and sedate nature, a group (minimum 5-6 but in 500g many more would be a real spectacular site) in a planted tank with minimal water movement could be complemented nicely by many of the tetra in the Hyphessobrycon genus, particularly the Rosy Tetra clade. Hatchetfish at the top do well. Bottom fish like several species of Corydoras, a pleco, or several other possible catfish species. Provided the other fish are not rambunctious--avoid barbs and danio for this reason--they should be fine, though always remembering the angels will readily eat any fish small enough to fit in their mouths; this rules out most pencilfish and tetra that are "long" in shape like neons, glowlights, etc.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to ask questions.

Byron.

noledoc 11-29-2010 09:16 PM

Byron, I want to comment on the extraordinarily helpful advice and sensitivity you offer. You and Kym and several others have been so kind and generous with your time and wisdom. A profound thank you!